Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a shoulder bag???

Anyone using a shoulder bag???

I understand most people here like to use real non photo backpacks, however working in an urban environment I would like something different and faster to work out of.

I have a Domke F2 that can hold my 4x5 and even a leica M6 kit, but its too small to hold the 4x5 and an SLR. I am considering either a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II, Domke F1x or J1, Or a Tenba Metro press P899. I really like the Photo trekker because it would be easier carrying all this weight on my back but I think a shoulder bag might be easier to work out of. Any opinions? Suggestions?

Sam,

I use a Lowepro Magnum MF AW to carry a Technikardan 45S, up to 6 Lenses. a Sinar Zoom II RFH, Filters, Light Meter, Colour Meter, Compendium Shade, Reflex Viewer & Polaroid 454 pro.

It is great to work out of and can be paced on the ground without much fear of dust and grit getting in. The back-packs (I have a Super Trekker for my Toyo 810M Mk II when I'm bush bashin') have a problem in my estimation that the open top sits very close to the grpound and the unzipped cover lolls about in the dirt gathering up muck that will easily enter the kit.

A shoulder bag can remain on your shoulder with the gear accessible when security is difficult whereas a back-pack must be removed, and put back on.

Just my thoughts.

Try the Crumpler Fux Deluxe. It's comfortable to carry, is relatively easy to work out of, and looks like a messenger bag. I use it for my Tech V and can carry seven lenses, shade, filters, meter, usual small accessories, and four Grafmatics.

I use a large Photoflex bag with a Bush Pressman and seveal lenses etc. This Photoflex bag has a waistbelt plus a shoulder strap. The waistbelt takes most of the losd off of my back and is very comfortable. Not sure they are made anymore but maybe something similar is available.

It is very easy and quick to work out of this bag while still carrying it. Everything is right at hand, right at waist level. You don't have to worry about the ground - whether wet, uneven or insects etc. Plus, not so much worry about someone grabbing it while working in an urban setting.

I use a tool bag purchased at Lowe's for $16. It holds a Wista SP, three lenses, eight film holders, lightmeter, loupe, filters, and other accessories. I really like the outside slip pockets as they are perfect for the cable releases, notebook, pencil, and other small items. They're also extremely tough, as built to haul a lot of tools. The shoulder strap crosses the bag from one side to the other which helps it stay on the shoulder much better. You also get a smaller bag with it all for one price.

I am with Garry on this one. Innocuous and cheap makes you less of a target on the street. Swallow your pride and keep your cameras!

Cheers,

A shoulder bag would be decidedly easier to work out of, but a shoulder can only take so much. Going from point A to point B will kill you, unless you're a roadside photographer. Several years back I bought Tamrac 614, which will hold two complete 35mm systems plus. I never really took into account how great the weight would be. I still have it, but it stays home, acting as a storage case in which I put equipment that I rarely use.

Unless you're using a light 4x5 camera, one lens, and readyloads, I'd advise a backpack.

My two cents.

Good luck.

DG

Hello

I am using a cooler bag measuring roughly 20cmX30cmX60cm that has decent padding, plus it keeps the film holders cool during summer, and the metal bits of my arca swiss warm during winter!

With all the films and accessories plus tripod it does get pretty heavy, which is why I include walking about with my LF gear in my weekly exercise quota

I use a shoulder bag all the time whe I want to travel light and have done so for more than 40 years. For most of that time I used an LL Bean Haversack made the old fashioned way in the UK out of three layer canvas, cotton-rubber-canvas, that was totally waterproof and extremely durable. Of ocurse it was durable, it lasted from 1958 until maybe 5-6 years ago. I mourned its passing and searched and searched for a replacement. Of course there was Billingham but I wanted something more flexible andm, hopefully, at a more reasonable price. When I stopped thinking camera bags and just started thinking bags it got easier. Thre are still a number ofo English companies that make 'field' bags the good old fashioned way. After some searching I found a 'fishing' bag by Tyneside that has become the perfect replacement.

Pictures below give you a bit of an idea. Basically I can pack it easily with my Horseman (my 4x5 Phillips also fits fine), two or three lenses, spotmeter, darkcloth quickload holder and 20+ packets of film. there is still room left over for more odd bits and it is not bulging or uncomfortable. On topof that I dont' worry abut rain and the other elements and this bag will outlive me.

I still seem to be having the same problems I have been having for several weeks posting pictures so .... go to http://www.leathercrafts.com/system/index.html and you can seetheir bags. I have been using moine for about two years now and swear by it.