Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even "eaten crow"? I just did...

Even "eaten crow"? I just did...

I know that many here are Chamonix users, and many have reported their utter happiness with their products. Well I didn't join the party. Most of ya'll know I've bought and sold a lot here, I like to try stuff out, sometimes I have 2 or 3 go-rounds with a particular product/item before deciding whether I like it or I don't. Well, case in point: I didn't want to get a "Chinese" camera, my nat'l pride kind a got the better of me, I'll fully admit it

So.......fast forward to earlier this week: a 4x5 Chamonix shows up on LA Craigslist, I send an email. No reply. Well I send another one, this time I get a reply. Camera's still available. So I think to myself "Give it a shot, its a LNIB condition one, and if you don't like it, someone else will buy it". So the seller and I agree on a price we both can live with, and I go over the next evening to pick it up. Fast forward to two days ago, I had a 1/2 day free so I take it out for its first 'outing'(the prior owner only shot some Polaroids with it, NO FILM!) to shoot some film.

Man, I LOVE this thing! Its super small, unbelievably light weight-wise, and STURDY, even with the 300mm lens out on front. Well done Chamonix!

Btw, its one of the early 45N-2 models, one of the black paint ones. *Almost* looks like a Phillips

From now on I'll hold my tongue before I can assess something in-person, especially on gear.
    But I'm very happy with the purchase, this one's a keeper!

So, what's your "eat crow" moment, if you don't mind sharing?

-Dan

Re: Even "eaten crow"? I just did...

Now you know why I've been searching for an 8x10 chamonix. Once I began using the 45n1&2, I wanted to use nothing else. The only thing I don't like is the tilt locks on the front and rear standards because they are tiny and almost impossible to move with gloves on. I had a pet crow as a kid.

I felt the same way since I get pissed off buying everything from toasters to teapots - all made in China - and all broken in a few months. That and they tried to kill my pets. Sorry for the political rant. I was determined to buy a camera NOT made in China, especially not one that copied a U.S. design. The longer I looked, I kept coming back to Chamonix as the best one for me. The design is so simple, even I can understand it. I have no LF experience, so maybe I will soon see a lot of short comings in the camera, but right now, I'm a happy owner. Hugo's reputation also influenced my decision. Nice to feel like you have someone supporting the camera.

I know this thread is specifically about Chamonix but I have been very surprised by the quality of my ShenHao PTB45, I just wish they would answer my emails. I have been trying to get a new front spirit level from them but I have had no replies to 3 emails in the last few weeks.

It's a good camera. I bought a 45n-1 and have really enjoyed hiking with it. I have it down to where, for a day hike, I have one little backpack that usually smaller than what some of my friends carry full of their "just in case" stuff.

Dan, small format example. I'm a Nikonist, swore for years that I'd never use a stupid AF point and shoot. Then I bought an Ikelite housing for pennies at a flea market. Turned out that it was specifically for a Canon AF35ML, one of the stupidest AF point and shoots ever made. So I bought an AF35ML to fit the housing, tried the thing for out-and-about. I hated using it -- it did what it was going to do, offered no control and gave no information about what it intended to do -- but it didn't shoot that badly and more than once was a metaphorical life saver.

eating crow is a regular part of my diet.....
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well,
    This thread doesn't HAVE to be about JUST Chamonix, I was just using my recent acquisition as an example

This can be about ANY kind of photo gear, doesn't have to be specifically what I wrote about in my posting.

-Dan

Tasty stuff once you get use to it.

I have plenty opportunity here on the forum when long-held ideas and theories are blasted apart by the knowledgeable folks here.

Tasty stuff once you get use to it.
    tastes a lot like chicken............
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"