Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Rollei CR-200 slide film aka Aviphot Chrome 200 sliide film "Yellow"

Is Rollei CR-200 slide film aka Aviphot Chrome 200 sliide film "Yellow"

Has anyone used the Rollei branded 200 ASA slide film in 120 or 35mm and the resulting slides have a strong yellow cast? I am referring to the film having been processed in E-6 for slides

This film is repackaged Afga Belgium Aviphot Chrome 200 and is also marketed as Lomographic X-Pro 200.

Please bear in mind there were no errors in the E-6 process at my lab, the Ektachrome and Fujichrome rolls processed at the same time and batch look perfect.

Are the fine folks at Macodirect.de, Freestylephoto.biz just blatantly selling film with a weird strong yellow cast when processed in E-6?

None of them are answering my questions about the yellow cast in this film, I wonder why?

Oh! They say it is Agfa RSX 200 slide film on a different base! Yeah right......

Re: Is Rollei CR-200 slide film aka Aviphot Chrome 200 sliide film "Yellow"

Hello from France
    Yes, I've experienced this film under the brand CR-200 and I got the yellow cast.
    I have had RSX-200 slides exposed and processed in similar conditions and results were very different. So at least for the batch of 120 rolls I have, made in Belgium, Rollei CR-200 is not RSX-200.
    My understanding is that, as an aerial film, it should be balanced for color temperatures well above 5500K, hence it is like if there was a built-in yellow filter.
    For landscape shots in summer I've found that a blueish 82B (= KB 1,5) correcting fliter (= "morning and eve' correcting filter) delivers acceptable results, but for winter scenes, mays be a stronger 82B fiilter (=KB3) or another combination to be determined would be better.
    Here a scan from a 6x6 slide (6x6 = formats prohibited here, sorry) ; taken near Besançon, France, in summer, in the afernoon, filter is a KB1,5 ; no corrections applied to the scan.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4317560...n/photostream/

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France
    Yes, I've experienced this film under the brand CR-200 and I got the yellow cast.
    I have had RSX-200 slides exposed and processed in similar conditions and results were very different. So at least for the batch of 120 rolls I have, made in Belgium, Rollei CR-200 is not RSX-200.
    My understanding is that, as an aerial film, it should be balanced for color temperatures well above 5500K, hence it is like if there was a built-in yellow filter.
    For landscape shots in summer I've found that a blueish 82B (= KB 1,5) correcting fliter (= "morning and eve' correcting filter) delivers acceptable results, but for winter scenes, mays be a stronger 82B fiilter (=KB3) or another combination to be determined would be better.
    Here a scan from a 6x6 slide (6x6 = formats prohibited here, sorry) ; taken near Besançon, France, in summer, in the afernoon, filter is a KB1,5 ; no corrections applied to the scan.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4317560...n/photostream/
    That photo looks quite good, more like what older Agfachrome looks like, I am going to scan a few of my slides and people will really see the extent of this yellow problem.

Here are the scans of the "Yellow" CR-200, I don't know how to use this stupid scanner but you get the idea of the screwed up colors.
    Pictures shot in Joshua Tree National Park
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y66.jpg   y55.jpg  

No one else tried CR-200? aka Piss-A-Chrome? LOL

Emmanuals' Besancon image shot with a KB1.5 filter look very much like older Agfachrome that I shot in the 1950s'. Has a definite but delicate magenta cast so can be easily corrected using CC filters or Photoshop ( I've done both recently on 50 year old Agfachrome shot in Sicily and Libya.

Hard to believe that without filtration as shown one could pull the color as much as Emmanual has achieved.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

retrogrouchy

You had this whinge already on APUG. Yes, it can be yellow... but last I checked, it's not an LF film.

I have found a shop in Germany that has the Agfa Aviphot 200 Chrome film for sale in 100' rolls that they apparently have purchased directly from Agfa Belgium and have packaged the film for sale.

I have sent an email to service@wittner-cinetec.com to inquire on the film's freshness and whether or not the film they sell is "Yellow".

I am thinking the Rollei branded CR-200 film is old, and has been frozen and thawed out too many times, all the while the vendors that sell this film sit there and say nothing is wrong with the film! Agfa's own literature says the film is NEUTRAL color balanced, balanced for 5500K.

I will see what http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/home.php people have to say about the slide film they package and sell.

Let's see what happens! This is totally a load of Garbage that Rollei would knowingly sell this film in its screwed up form! There are just way too many reports on the internet of this film sold by Rollei being "Yellow"!

Just why in the Hell should we photographers sit there in denial about a screwed up film being sold as being "Normal"!

Look at the Agfa PDF about this film! It says NEUTRAL color rendering, 5500K color balance!

Stand up and be counted! there is no excuse to be selling screwed up film!

Hey Folks, look at this URL

Look at the results Wittner Cinetec is gettting out of the Aviphot 200 chrome film in Super-8 and 16mm formats, look at the color rendition! looks like Agfachrome RSX 200 to me, No ugly yellow cast!

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...2fnews2013.php

Here is the follow-Up, I had inquired to Wittner-Cinetec in Germany, They Have assured me that their Aviphot Chrome 200 color slide film is not yellow, here is the email they sent to me:

Dear Mr. Icanberry,

thank you for your message.

Here you will find some sample pictures of our batch
    http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/neu/news2013.php

The are NOT color corrected!

Emulsion No. is 6782.16, currently the same for Super 8 and 35mm still film (same wide roll).

I do not know what could cause this yellow colour cast, which you have experienced.
    But our batch does not show this problem obviously.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact me again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Best regards

Ingolf Joost
    Wittner Cinetec GmbH & Co. KG
    Beaulieu Deutschland
    Posso Deutschland
    www.wittner-cinetec.com
    www.posso-germany.com
    www.beaulieu.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRA 4657 HL.
    Komplementärin/Geschäftsführung: Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH,
    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 6527 HL.
    Geschäftsführer der Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH: Daniel Wittner