Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Durst Laborator 1200

HELP: Durst Laborator 1200

I know a guy with a Durst Laborator 1200 taking up space in his garage. There are a bunch of big glass lenses in boxes(condensers?). We have no idea how to set it up properly, operate or use this beast. I've not had any luck searching online for any instructions. I thought about getting it, but I think I'll go the cowardly way and buy a scanner and print digitally. Unless someone can help me figure out how to use this. I don't even know if all the parts are there. (My enlarger experience was 35mm in Jr. High ~1972).
    Thanks

Re: HELP: Durst Laborator 1200

The problem with the Durst is parts. If all or most of the parts are there, it is OK. BUT, if you are missing parts, the missing parts can be difficult and expensive to find.
    I have the L1000 (older brother to the L1200) and a couple missing parts are being a pain to find.

Here is the manual for the L1200
    http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/man...200_manual.pdf

If you were close to me, and the price was right, I would grab that enlarger.

Does it have the condenser head or the color head?
    If you get it, read the manual and take it apart to move. Some of the parts do not like to be moved assembled, as things can get damaged. Example, I would remove all the condenser lenses and pack them separate, so they don't get damaged banging into each other. That also makes it a bit lighter to carry. Take the head off the column, separate the column from the baseboard.

Post pictures of what you have if you can. It is a pretty common enlarger. If all the pieces are there it should be easy to use. If something crucial is missing it won't work.

Follow the advice in Post #2 for moving it. I would add that the column should be blocked with a piece of 2x3 lumber to prevent damage to the gears.
    Find out what all the pieces are and some of us here can walk you through its set-up.

Thanks to all.
    I'll see if I can't get some pictures in the next few days.

If it is all there what would be a fair price (range) to offer him?

Yep, my advice is the same as others. I got my Durst L1200 this summer, with a colour head. But it took me a month to get the power supply; fortunately the seller eventually found it. It is now working, and I love using it.

The price for enlargers are crazy, from him paying you $100 to cart it away, to you having to pay thousands for the enlarger. Figure out what he wants for it. For example, there was a free one here, a few months ago, but you had to pick it up from LA.

If you need to resell it, you could ask from $500 to $1500 and end up with a buyer anywhere in that range, if the enlarger is complete and working properly.

On ebay, there are a bunch of $1000 to $1500 L1200's that aren't selling.

Personally, I'd say $500 is more than generous, especially if you have to figure out if it is complete and working. For instance, if it is missing the negative carrier, well, one sold for $150 on ebay a day ago. And masks could easily be $100. It adds up quickly.

Oh, as for taking the head off the column, I don't think I advise that. It is attached via a very very strong spring. I do suggest to roll the enlarger head right to the top before moving it. Laying on its side, that spring will easily overcome its locks. You can take the baseboard off easily though.

Enlarger price is a difficult question.
    I was talking to the owner of a local camera shop.
    He told me that he cannot give away some of the enlargers he has. He has a Bessler 4x5 that has been sitting on the floor of the shop for about a year...with no takers.
    As sad as it sounds $200 or 300 might be a fair price for that enlarger.

But as I said, if you don't have all the parts you need, the additional cost you will incur to replace the missing parts could add up fast $$$.
    Example, a missing condenser might cost $100+ to replace via eBay. More parts missing, more cost to replace them.
    I am in that exact situation with my Durst and Omega enlargers. Replacement parts are driving up the cost of the enlargers. I should have offered the guy half of what I paid him.

ac12
    Thanks for the link to the manual. thats way better than the one I was able to find. That will help tremendously!

BTW - I would stress removing the lamp housing before moving it - it seems obvious, usually after the fact.

Very good enlarger, but make sure you get every single one of those bits with it. Try and make sure you get all the negative masks, lenses, lensboards, condenser lenses, bulbs, filter drawers etc etc etc.

As others have said, finding them afterwards is very tough, but if you have everything, they are great enlargers. Big and heavy too so be prepared for needing help to move it.