Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I Keep water in a JOBO?

Re: Can I Keep water in a JOBO?

One place I worked temp had one for E6, and left bath filled for months... Looked like a swamp!!! But they kept using it, and eventually it ruined the pump... Took a tech 3 days to take apart unit (not service friendly) to replace (expensive) pump and other parts... Tensions ran high...

If I remember correctly, it didn't have a drain, so difficult to drain... You can consider adding one if possible...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If I remember correctly, it didn't have a drain, so difficult to drain... You can consider adding one if possible...

Steve K
    Mine had a drain. Wasn't OEM for sure. I always thought it was a replacement drain valve, but then I guess it was added on by the previous owner. Looked to be a simple thing to add on.

I've had my CPE2 for something like 5 years now. I think I drained it once. During prolonged periods of darkroom absence, the water level drops to perhaps 1/3 its original volume due to evaporation. The water is plain tap water with no additives - apart from the inevitable chemical spills. I don't need to tell you what the water looks like...it's pure filth, obviously. But it doesn't stink, and it's come to the point where mosquitoes cannot breed in it anymore either. The Jobo, of course, continues to work perfectly. In a few months we'll move and then I'll clean it properly.

I have had a Jobo ATL-1500 for six-seven years now, and I would never contemplate leaving water in it for more than a couple of days or a week tops. I mostly develop black and white, but I have also used it to develop E-6 and C-41, and I run the cleaning program regularly with a small amount of granular citric acid (that is what Jobo Processor Clean is) in the cleaning water. I also let it stand with the lids on the chemical containers open and the top lid open.
    It looks better inside now than when I got it. In fact it looks almost like new. Such a machine is too expensive to replace, so I think the small effort well spent.

If I expect to run film, I'll keep the CPP-2 filled with water for a couple of weeks. if It's going to be more than a month, I usually drain it. Every now and then I'll take the trough off and deep clean. fwiw, I'm using city tap, unsoftened.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

"Will the RO water be corrosive on the metal heating element?"

Yes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I was hoping for some sort of consensus on my question, but should have known better than to expect one... Silly me!

I did vast research (about 2 minutes on google) and learned that algae prefers to grow in an environment with a PH of about 7-7.4—my tap water is 7.9. I am going to try adding a bit of Citric Acid, which I am assuming is harmless to the JOBO, to the tank. I'll keep an eye on it and keep my fingers crossed. It just feels so wasteful to dump gallons of water every time I run the processor.

Thanks everyone

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

And...here’s another opinion in case you didn’t have enough of them already ...I wouldn’t recommend citric acid for this. Citric acid supports the growth of all sorts of gooey life, slime etc. This is why plain citric acid stop baths (for example) don’t usually keep for very long. Ilford’s Ilfostop (citric acid) includes a biocide to help preserve it.

You’re probably better off using benzoic acid/sodium benzoate, which is fairly innocuous.

Or perhaps a small amount of bleach as others have suggested.

Including a chelating agent like calgon or one of the other better ones might also help prevent calcium and other metal deposits depending on water quality.

Someone ought to formulate and market a “long life tempering bath solution for Jobo processors”

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I was hoping for some sort of consensus on my question, but should have known better than to expect one... Silly me!

I did vast research (about 2 minutes on google) and learned that algae prefers to grow in an environment with a PH of about 7-7.4—my tap water is 7.9. I am going to try adding a bit of Citric Acid, which I am assuming is harmless to the JOBO, to the tank. I'll keep an eye on it and keep my fingers crossed. It just feels so wasteful to dump gallons of water every time I run the processor.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    And...here’s another opinion in case you didn’t have enough of them already ...I wouldn’t recommend citric acid for this. Citric acid supports the growth of all sorts of gooey life, slime etc. This is why plain citric acid stop baths (for example) don’t usually keep for very long. Ilford’s Ilfostop (citric acid) includes a biocide to help preserve it.

You’re probably better off using benzoic acid/sodium benzoate, which is fairly innocuous.

Or perhaps a small amount of bleach as others have suggested.

Including a chelating agent like calgon or one of the other better ones might also help prevent calcium and other metal deposits depending on water quality.

Someone ought to formulate and market a “long life tempering bath solution for Jobo processors”
    I'm going to cry...

Maybe I should should simply drain the JOBO in between processing runs and call it done. This is much more complicated than I expected!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

Scum will build up. But the easiest way to control microbes and water mold for awhile is to throw a capful of Listerine in the water. Make sure it's the original formula or generic equivalent containing Thymol.