Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stitching Several 6x12 Images

Stitching Several 6x12 Images

Please humor me, I am trying to determine the feasibility of an idea I've had. I have no experience with stitching and am a Photoshop kindergartener. I am considering stitching together maybe 6-8 6x12 color photos and printing them as one continuous image several feet long. I use an Imacon Precision III scanner. I am in the market for a new computer anyway—how powerful would I need? Before I thought of this project, I was thinking an IMac. Any software suggestions—Photoshop or is there something better for stitching? I assume if I keep the camera level and squared to the scene and overlap each image I should be OK. Am I missing anything?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: Stitching Several 6x12 Images

Not really, but Ram is your friend, so you want max Ram.

I would consider a 5K screen iMac.

But, I bought a PC because they are way cheaper.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Please humor me, I am trying to determine the feasibility of an idea I've had. I have no experience with stitching and am a Photoshop kindergartener. I am considering stitching together maybe 6-8 6x12 color photos and printing them as one continuous image several feet long. I use an Imacon Precision III scanner. I am in the market for a new computer anyway—how powerful would I need? Before I thought of this project, I was thinking an IMac. Any software suggestions—Photoshop or is there something better for stitching? I assume if I keep the camera level and squared to the scene and overlap each image I should be OK. Am I missing anything?
    Overlap should be 30% and watch your exposures so the frames match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Overlap should be 30% and watch your exposures so the frames match.
    More overlap than I anticipated—I might need another frame or 2....

So this is doable??

Richard Wasserman

I'm not sure why you would need to stitch more than two together - if you scan a single 6x12 frame at just 2400dpi, you would end up with an image that would print about 3 feet (actually 33") wide. Stitching 6 to eight frames together, even with overlap, would give you an image in the multiple yards category...

Assuming you have a printer that can handle roll paper and print any length, just how wide and how high do you want the print to be?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Assuming you have a printer that can handle roll paper and print any length, just how wide and how high do you want the print to be?
    I need to stitch multiple negatives together to get the image I want, it can't be done with only 1 or 2 exposures. I haven't thought all this through yet, but I am thinking about prints in the 5-6 foot wide range, maybe longer, by whatever height they work out to. Doing some rough math I'm thinking they will only be about 6 inches tall. I may need to refine my concept a bit...

Richard Wasserman

Are you going to rotate the camera? You will have a lot of issues stitching things together to form a seamless image (unless you are going for the Joiner look). I would suggest trying it first with a digital camera and equivalent lens/crops. Also, you would do well to rig up a way to rotate at the proper place (under the lens unless it's a tele, I think).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Are you going to rotate the camera? You will have a lot of issues stitching things together to form a seamless image (unless you are going for the Joiner look). I would suggest trying it first with a digital camera and equivalent lens/crops. Also, you would do well to rig up a way to rotate at the proper place (under the lens unless it's a tele, I think).
    I'll be moving the camera parallel to the scene—no rotating involved.

Richard Wasserman

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Under the nodal point.

Thank you Bob. I couldn't think of the right word.

Richard, I would still definitely consider trying it first with a digital camera and cropping it to 6x12 aspect, before burning film.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome