Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Report

Yosemite Report

Yesterday I traveled the Glacier Point Road and spent time at the Mono Meadow trail head, Washburn Point and Glacier Point. There was a good (bad?) strong buffeting wind at Mono Meadow trail head. I saw a fellow doing wet plates (?) at Glacier.
    I saw a lot of tourists doing what appeared to be a strange, slow, silent dance with selfie sticks (maybe a form of Tai Chi?) It was interesting, but not as interesting as the snow capped peaks, beautiful clouds and water going over Nevada and Vernal Falls.
    I wish I'd gone on the Tioga Pass road instead----the clouds were really working thier magic to the North--- but I just had a few hours away from home, so Glacier Point was all I could manage. The store had closed for the season and I heard some grousing from the tourists about no hot dogs I didn't realize the Glacier Point hut served, apparently served memorable hot dogs! I always went for an ice cream sandwich
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Yosemite Report

Well, here's hoping for snow this winter in the valley. Heading there over MLK weekend. Even if no snow, what better place to go?
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

Sequoia is closer and can be lovely that time of year with snow in the big trees themselves. It's also easier to book cabin space around Grant Grove than in Yosemite Valley. You're a bit higher too than Yosemite Valley per se, so better odds of snow. And if the road is open between entrances, you'll have a distant view
    of considerably higher peaks. But chains are almost always required to at least have on hand if this does turn out to be a very wet winter. Otherwise, Hwy 395
    up the east side of the Sierra is generally accessible as far north as Mammoth, and paved side roads around June Lk and even up to Aspendel are regularly plowed. If it turns out to be a dry winter, Whitney Portal might even be open, though that road can get icy. But the peaks are so high around there you'll always get a view of snow, if you can't actually get in it. But El Ninos tend to be warm, so a snowfall as low as Yosemite Valley will have a high water content and get mushy fairly quickly. You need to be there during a snowstorm to get those sparkly powder snow effects, or else be at higher altitude where it's colder. Mono
    Lake can be pretty in the snow, if you can get to Lee Vining, which you generally can via 395.

I missed the Glacier Point Hotel that burned in 1969. It looked like a heck of a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    I missed the Glacier Point Hotel that burned in 1969. It looked like a heck of a place.
    Indeed, it was
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

There was another substantial fire right behind that same spot about thirty years ago. I barely remember the old hotel. That was when every idiot wanted to sneak
    over the fence onto that rock plank right at the edge of the point and throw rocks off (idiots including kids like me). There are numerous antique photos of old bearded guys under darkcloths, with huge glass plate cameras propped at the very edge, and even of Model T's parked on it.

Hey - I'll be in Yosemite in early June by plane from SF where I am picking up a rental car. Do you know is it possible to have an 8x10 and tripod shipped to the Ahwahnee lodge where I'll be staying? I really don't want to have to deal with taking it on the plane, and there is the problem with getting the film there. Also, I have Ansel's guide to the park but that's about it. Any good recommendations on what to do in three days? I'm going to Sequoia as well for two days. Thanks! Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    Hey - I'll be in Yosemite in early June by plane from SF where I am picking up a rental car. Do you know is it possible to have an 8x10 and tripod shipped to the Ahwahnee lodge where I'll be staying? I really don't want to have to deal with taking it on the plane, and there is the problem with getting the film there. Also, I have Ansel's guide to the park but that's about it. Any good recommendations on what to do in three days? I'm going to Sequoia as well for two days. Thanks! Will
    I wouldn't be surprised if they would. Contact the Ahwahnee.
    Give the Maytag Blue Cheeseburger a try at the Ahwahnee while you're at it.
    Plan on spending at least one full day in the Tioga Pass/ Tenaya Lake/ Tuolumne Grove area
    Mariposa Grove is closed for restoration.
    And another day on the road to, and at, Glacier Point. Maybe you can squeeze in the historic buildings gathered at Wawona.
    That will leave one day for exploring the valley & waterfalls.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The main USPS office is located about 1/2 mile or less from the Ahwahnee Hotel: http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-offi...ational-park-2 You could ship it to yourself C/O The Ahwahnee if you have a confirmed reservation or ship it to yourself C/O General Delivery for pick-up at the PO.

Thomas

A week ago there was a huge rock slide off of Glacier Point in the middle of the night. I was bunking behind The Village in Teqouia and it sounded like continuous thunder. The people at Camp Curry sure got a wake up call!