Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: High-Speed Sync for Speed Graphic

Re: High-Speed Sync for Speed Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Again, it's the curtain travel time that matters. This is the HSS total duration you'd need:
    I probably would have figured that out after my second cup of coffee. Thanks again, Tobias!

Quote Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
    I probably would have figured that out after my second cup of coffee.

i'm resurrecting this thread because it petered out before anyone figured out a practical solution, so here's how to do hss on a pacemaker speed graphic (i'm not as familiar with earlier models so no guarantees there).

option 1: get a modern flash with strobe mode, multi-mode, repeating flash or whatever other brands call it when you can set your flash manually to generate a series of flashes. any speed on the fps other than "T" will trigger the flash right before the shutter opens, then all you need to do is experiment with the repetition rate and duration of the series of flashes until you get good overlap between flashes and the correct total number of flashes to last the entire travel time of the shutter.

option 2: similar to option 1, except without strobe mode. instead you attach an encoder disk to the shutter winding key and use that to trigger the flash repeatedly in sync with the movement of the winding key. like with option one, any speed but "T".

option 3: same as option 2, except instead of an encoder disk you use the fps' flash sync circuit and replace the individual staple-like metal contacts along the edge of the shutter curtain with rows of contacts with a spacing equal to say half or a third of the width of their corresponding slit. again, any speed but "T".

option 4: set the fps to "T", it has x-sync and will work with any normal electronic flash. if you practice your double clicks you should be able to get a shutter speed somewhere around 1/10s without jamming the shutter.

I have several FPS long ago retrofitted with big microswitch, not by me

The flash is triggered by winder movement

Pictures need to be made?

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    i'm resurrecting this thread because it petered out before anyone figured out a practical solution, so here's how to do hss on a pacemaker speed graphic (i'm not as familiar with earlier models so no guarantees there).

option 1: get a modern flash with strobe mode, multi-mode, repeating flash or whatever other brands call it when you can set your flash manually to generate a series of flashes. any speed on the fps other than "T" will trigger the flash right before the shutter opens, then all you need to do is experiment with the repetition rate and duration of the series of flashes until you get good overlap between flashes and the correct total number of flashes to last the entire travel time of the shutter.

option 2: similar to option 1, except without strobe mode. instead you attach an encoder disk to the shutter winding key and use that to trigger the flash repeatedly in sync with the movement of the winding key. like with option one, any speed but "T".

option 3: same as option 2, except instead of an encoder disk you use the fps' flash sync circuit and replace the individual staple-like metal contacts along the edge of the shutter curtain with rows of contacts with a spacing equal to say half or a third of the width of their corresponding slit. again, any speed but "T".

option 4: set the fps to "T", it has x-sync and will work with any normal electronic flash. if you practice your double clicks you should be able to get a shutter speed somewhere around 1/10s without jamming the shutter.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have several FPS long ago retrofitted with big microswitch, not by me

The flash is triggered by winder movement

Pictures need to be made?
    option 2 would basically be that but with something kinda like this attached to the winder instead of a microswitch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mhgfhjg.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	220548
    it might also work to just have a microswitch pressed against the teeth of one of the shutter's internal gears, at least at slower speeds where the flash wouldn't have to strobe as fast and there'd be more overlap.

Could the fp shutter be held open then use a lens on the camera with a shutter.

Shutter in lens would sync with all shutter speeds.

I used a graflex, long time ago, but if my old memory is correct, the shutter was in the lens.
    Side note, I had to lick the base of the flash bulbs to ensure it would fire!

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Could the fp shutter be held open then use a lens on the camera with a shutter.

Shutter in lens would sync with all shutter speeds.

I used a graflex, long time ago, but if my old memory is correct, the shutter was in the lens.
    Side note, I had to lick the base of the flash bulbs to ensure it would fire!

Just a thought.
    well obviously, but not all lenses come with shutters or shutters that do 1/1000s. nobody's buying a speed graphic unless they intend to use the fp shutter.

nobody's buying a speed graphic unless they intend to use the fp shutter.
    Really? Why do you believe that? No insults, please.

well obviously, but not all lenses come with shutters or shutters that do 1/1000s. nobody's buying a speed graphic unless they intend to use the fp shutter.
    You can only properly synch an electronic flash with a for shutter if the flash is fired when the curtain opening covers the entire film area. That will only be at slower speeds on your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Really? Why do you believe that? No insults, please.
    i'm sure there are occasional exceptions, but if you don't need a fp shutter a crown graphic is smaller and lighter and way cheaper. there's no advantage to choosing a speed over a crown other than the fp shutter.