Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How Many Pros use LF?

Re: How Many Pros use LF?

Noticeably missing in definition of commercial LF is landscape category. I wonder if this is intentional.

From websites, it appears that fine art LF photogs, John Sexton, Rodney Lough Jr, Michael Fatali, Carr Clifton, Paul Wakefield (UK) and Guy Tal (UK) still shoot LF film and sell their images as "primary source" of sales. Their LF film images stand out from digital work IMO. Most others have succumbed to digital.

What interested me in LF initially were images taken during the 70s/80s of high end interiors for magazines targeting the very wealthy. As compared to now, huge efforts and many hours per shoot were needed to set up proper lighting and to get it all in focus with minimal linear distortion and obtain accurate color. I used to have long conversations with a few about their choices of film and lenses for each project.

The unsung heroes during the day were commercial product LF photogs who had to know everything there was about lenses, film color characteristics, movements and lighting. Their art still remains, albeit with the use of Cambo/Arca/etc. tech cameras, digital backs and Rodenstock lenses (mostly), also employed still for some high end architecture work. 50MP MFD cameras have to some extent upended tech cameras, though few T/S choices are offered.

Good point, they do work hard for the $$$

Some work the summer art circuit, which is kinda dead last year and this

Winners of 2019 Wet Plate Competition very interesting and different images

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I know a few wet plate photographers doing portraits for a living. They usually don't spend time here and really work hard.
    Tin Can

You have to take into consideration LF revenue sources from workshops, individual consulting, and as trip leaders to best areas, which eclipsed print sales pre-covid per two of my friends who specialize.

In fact, if the profit ethos hasn't been entirely eviscerated by recent cultural trends, and given the surge in interest in LF, some brave souls (from this forum?) might consider offering LF workshops for a fee.

Certainly workshops in printmaking (zoom?) are an option for revenue generation?

My idea is to have a LF workshop and studio with landscape tours in Southern Ontario. I have made a BIG darkroom with a Durst 184, three Omega 4x5 enlargers, Have about 40 8x10 holders and the same in 4x5. Several cameras in 8x10 and 4x5. With the end of the Pandemic I will begin the business. Thousands of families have fled the Urban areas here and moved to scenic countryside homes . Prices Soared. Had to find any home under $1,500,000 within two hours of Toronto. People will continue to work from home and commuting is not popular now that we can work from home. There is a surge in Film sales too. I hope to find families that value large format for activities of portraits . Still like and scenic landscapes locally. This will be the local "staycation" idea and should find some interest. Local news will like the idea. This will be a membership club on a commercial sense. Sticking to the exotic ( to many ) film photography and wet printing experience. Its a bit of a push for sure. Perhaps it will be an "activity" to families. They will not have to be dedicated or make big investments and at the end they will have a framed print. The full course will include cutting the matt and mounting the print. Wish me luck. P.S. I will also have B&W polaroid 8x10 available. I have two processors and five holders. My question is how to price this ? What should I have for a workshop? Should i do this a stages like using camera , darkroom developing and printing, finally mount the print and frame it? with a series of these and an occasional intensive weekend?

Go for it, this is your moment

2008 Great? Recession I was dumpstered

By 2012 I made a plan like yours. I listed my FREE Darkroom on Ilford's 'Find a Darkroom' for 3 years. Nobody ever contacted me and I was in a very artsy area of Chicago, with urban renewal striking

However, as you point out, people that can are fleeing cities for the good life, online work is now highly desired

I sold my Condo Darkroom, which was remade into a Virtual Digital Gallery

I moved rural 4 years ago as I suspected cities are no longer viable, in my remaining lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    My idea is to have a LF workshop and studio with landscape tours in Southern Ontario. I have made a BIG darkroom with a Durst 184, three Omega 4x5 enlargers, Have about 40 8x10 holders and the same in 4x5. Several cameras in 8x10 and 4x5. With the end of the Pandemic I will begin the business. Thousands of families have fled the Urban areas here and moved to scenic countryside homes . Prices Soared. Had to find any home under $1,500,000 within two hours of Toronto. People will continue to work from home and commuting is not popular now that we can work from home. There is a surge in Film sales too. I hope to find families that value large format for activities of portraits . Still like and scenic landscapes locally. This will be the local "staycation" idea and should find some interest. Local news will like the idea. This will be a membership club on a commercial sense. Sticking to the exotic ( to many ) film photography and wet printing experience. Its a bit of a push for sure. Perhaps it will be an "activity" to families. They will not have to be dedicated or make big investments and at the end they will have a framed print. The full course will include cutting the matt and mounting the print. Wish me luck. P.S. I will also have B&W polaroid 8x10 available. I have two processors and five holders. My question is how to price this ? What should I have for a workshop? Should i do this a stages like using camera , darkroom developing and printing, finally mount the print and frame it? with a series of these and an occasional intensive weekend?
    Tin Can

Has it already been four years since we hauled the sink out of your place??? Thank God you were on the ground floor!

I'm not sure that I qualify as a pro photographer, being mostly a historian, but I do use LF professionally for my HABS/HAER jobs. The quantity of work varies from year to year, and I've never had a year when the photography work outweighed the research and writing jobs, but last year and this year will be close.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I doubt LF (or even film) is used by anyone for client-based work.
    Film is still utilized in editorial fashion to some degree, though I'd guess it's all MF.

Before the pandemic, I lead workshops, there I always used LF images, 64" on the short side.
    These workshops were 100% of my income.

Really eye openers that old camera's and film can still produce quality images.
    Though I did not sell those LF images, I sure used them and made new ones regularly for those workshops.

Nowadays, I don't qualify anymore, I don't work since the pandemic
    Since the pandemic, I just shoot for fun on LF.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Morlinghaus - in my option the best arch photographer
    www.christo.stankulov.com