Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Smokey

Re: Still Smokey

I have in the past -- have a set of 16x20s of burn areas in Yosemite. Nice light and all, but not that interested in showing them.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I wish they’d stop with just the “complex” names and remind us of the county, nearest town, etc. The news seem to have an aversion to maps.

Where I am we’ve had clear air for a couple of weeks but still cleaning up deposited soot.

Drew Wiley

The CalFire Incident site gives very detailed daily maps.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Thanks. Appreciate the suggestion! I’ll find that site. The news just doesn’t give me what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I wish they’d stop with just the “complex” names and remind us of the county, nearest town, etc. The news seem to have an aversion to maps...
    A "Complex" is two or more fires that had their own names but have merged into one fire. I do not believe they repeat fire names. The August Complex was named after the fact it was started by lightening in August. But it is so big, they have broken it into sections, using compass points, so it is the Western Zone that has just caused evacuation orders in the upper portion of the watershed I live near the bottom of (rivers run south to north up here).

If you would like town names, Ruth (and Ruth Lake/Dam which is 100,000 folks' water supply). Also Mad River, Zenia and Kettenpom. This fire started so far away from these towns, that giving the fire a 'local' name would not be very helpful.

But at this point we have a lot of big fires burning -- all too big.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/

Edited to add. Things were looking a little better, but now have thick smoke at ground level making its way down the Mad River along with general arrival. And a bunch of ash has arrived.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The Glass fire is another bad one, started in the Napa Valley a day ago and has burned over to Santa Rosa, Ca.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/9/27/glass-fire/

Roger

Drew Wiley

We started smelling smoke from the Glass Fire this evening. Its got that more toxic burning suburbia smell, full of plastic fumes and yellow ash. Hope the wind keeps blowing most of that smoke offshore, because it looks like they're not going to able to stop that fire anytime soon. Those folks up in the Wine Country have gotten hit awfully hard these past several years, but it's almost inevitable, given the nature of the brush and very dry wind patterns this time of year. Everyone wants a nice view of the vineyards down in bottomland, but that means development up on adjacent hills where the hazard is. And even if the vineyards themselves survive, the grape taste changes due to smoke. Some of them have already had to convert from making wine to making distilled spirits which don't use the grape skin itself.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I wish they’d stop with just the “complex” names and remind us of the county, nearest town, etc. The news seem to have an aversion to maps.
    The IQAir site will show where the fires are located in the area selected - just expand outward 3 times to show the fires on the map. They are indicated with an appropriate "flame" icon on the expanded map with 1, 2 or 3 flames designating the severity of the fire. Click on a flame and its current details will be displayed along with the map coordinates. "Complexes" are identified with halos; click down on a halo to see the separate the individual fires and click on the details for the current conditions. Many 1 flames are satellite discoveries.

Peter

The news seem to have an aversion to maps.
    I've been looking at www.caltopo.com
    You can put different layers over a base map and there's a slider to gradually fade the top layer revealing the base map below. Different layers include google imagery, contours, streets, fire activity, fire history, wind direction and others. And if you sign in with google, facebook, yahoo, microsoft or apple id you can save the map with your custom layers and share the url.

Looks to be one of those days of the sun being just a pale orange disk. No sunrise today.