Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ansel Adams book and app: "Looking at Ansel Adams"

New Ansel Adams book and app: "Looking at Ansel Adams"

I am pleased to let fellow Large Format Forum members know about a new book about my friend, mentor, and former employer - Ansel Adams. The book is by my long time friend, and former colleague at Ansel's, Andrea Stillman. What makes this new book, "Looking at Ansel Adams: The Photographs and the Man," unlike any previous publications about Ansel are the wonderful stories that Andrea weaves around his photographs. Andrea has an encyclopedic knowledge of Ansel's photographs and his life. I may be a bit biased - having contributed in a small way to the project as the technical consultant.

The "official" publication date is Sept. 25, but the book can be preordered at a discounted price from Amazon.com.

If you are interested in Ansel's work I believe you will enjoy this book.

I can also give you an advance "heads up" that a brand new app - of the same title - is about to launch. The app, which is for Apple iPads and iPhones, is designed as a companion to the book.

If you would like to learn more about the book and the app, check out my latest eNewsletter here:

If you are interested please feel free to join my eNewsletter list. I only send out 5 to 10 announcements a year, and never share contact information with anyone. There is a link to the archive of my past eNewsletters on the newsletter listed above, along with a subscription link.

Cheers!
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com

info(at)johnsexton.com

Re: New Ansel Adams book and app: "Looking at Ansel Adams"

Thanks for the heads up John, will be waiting on the 19th for the app to appear on the app store!

Cheers

Big Negs Rock!

Hello John, good to hear about the projects. I'll definitely be looking for the book.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Thanks for the heads up. Question, will the book come in electronic form? If it has an app companion, an e-reader book would be a natural.
    Thanks again John!

I've just installed the app on an ipad2 - looks great and although the free version is understandably light on content its worth getting. I may even part with some cash for the full version. Well done to all involved.

I recently looked at the Ansel Adams at 100 book and was thouroughly impressed. It is funny how a photographer is mostly known for a few prints but those famous pictures are not really representative of the photographers broader work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I recently looked at the Ansel Adams at 100 book and was thouroughly impressed. It is funny how a photographer is mostly known for a few prints but those famous pictures are not really representative of the photographers broader work at all.
    This is true, not only for Ansel, but also for other famous photographers as well. I have often thought that an excellent representation of Ansel's work is within his seven Portfolios, published between 1948 and 1976. They are not chronological, his last Portfolio in 1976 including an image from 1932. In total, there are only ninety images, (John correct me), a sufficient number to define Ansel's best work, with the exclusion of several iconic images.

Not to be overlooked, of course,are the wonderful qualities of the man himself; for me, those will always define Ansel, along with his relentless promotion of photography as a fine art. Regardless of personal appraisals of his work, those of us who have followed in his tradition, owe much to Ansel.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    This is true, not only for Ansel, but also for other famous photographers as well. I have often thought that an excellent representation of Ansel's work is within his seven Portfolios, published between 1948 and 1976. They are not chronological, his last Portfolio in 1976 including an image from 1932. In total, there are only ninety images, (John correct me), a sufficient number to define Ansel's best work, with the exclusion of several iconic images.

Not to be overlooked, of course,are the wonderful qualities of the man himself; for me, those will always define Ansel, along with his relentless promotion of photography as a fine art. Regardless of personal appraisals of his work, those of us who have followed in his tradition, owe much to Ansel.
    +1. Santa's bringing me the book this year.

John, can you speak at all to the printed quality of the images in the book? How do they compare to the clothbound edition of Ansel Adams at 100, or the masterfully-printed Edward Weston's Book of Nudes? Granted nothing will ever match the original prints, would you say these are fairly close replications, or really just examples of content?
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

Oh ... just checked the itunes, i cant download it as I am registered in Asia .... any method???