Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Drew Wiley

Re: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Fog is more common than not here, Sal. Newton ring hell. For that reason I reserve TMX for film to film applications like masking for smaller formats like 120 film, where small grain is vital. Otherwise, I use FP4, which is less slick and more affordable. TMY400 and HP5 never cause problems.

Drew Wiley

Every darkroom should have a fume hood or equivalent. I buy PMK in premixed A&B bottles from Formulary for convenience. It lasts a long time prior to mixing per application. It's always used one-shot. Repetitive skin contact is the highest risk - essentially nil with nitrile gloves. Pyro doesn't vaporize until well above 75F, at which point water will be hot enough to ruin your emulsion anyway. I've never had issues, and actually use gloves for every kind of darkroom chemical. Common sense.

Drew Wiley

I personally use TMax films at full box speed with PMK because I can count on good shadow separation in the steep toe. This mandates careful shadow metering in open sun. If the toe isn't steep, then the contrast of the film is suspiciously low (under-distributed). But whatever works for you, works. It's Ilford films I have to cut down the ASA with, esp in high contrast situations.

Drew Wiley

Damn phone. Under-distributed, not under-distributed. Someone should loan the geeks an actual dictionary.

Drew Wiley

Did it again! #@!!!! UNDER-DEVELOPED !!

Drew -- here's a hot tip for you. At the lower right of your posts, you should see four "buttons." From right to left they are the "Multi-Quote This Message" icon, "Reply With Quote," "Reply" and, finally, one labeled "Edit Post." If you click on "Edit Post," all those typos will be readily correctable without need for additional, subsequent posts.

You're welcome.

Drew Wiley

Thanks. There must be a way to disconnect the Geek-spell-check on the phone too, but it's a recent hand-me-down from my wife. Want to get my new Mac workstation up, but have to refinish a hardwood slab first. New gear needs new furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I've never managed to get a Newton's ring with Delta 100 sheet film. Extreme high humidity ambient conditions might be sufficient to cause them, however.
    Interesting - I've had a hell of a time trying to get rid of Newton rings on a Kodak pin registered contact print frame with both Delta & HP5+ - to the point that getting an AN glass for it seems the only solution - and room humidity isn't higher than about 55%.

Drew Wiley

You can just slip a punched sheet of 3-mil frosted mylar between the glass and film. It has about .08 density to compensate for, though you should double-check your own sheets with a densitometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You can just slip a punched sheet of 3-mil frosted mylar between the glass and film. It has about .08 density to compensate for, though you should double-check your own sheets with a densitometer.
    I have plenty of that lying around, will give it a go. Cheers!