Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: imacon flextight precision ii scanning fuji fp-100c negative reclamation

Sir.

imacon flextight precision ii scanning fuji fp-100c negative reclamation

Hi I have an Imacon Flextight II and would like to know if anyone has any good luck scanning fuji fp-100c negatives. I know the color will be somewhat off but my results are way out there. I've seen other folks on line ( have great success with this process but they are using different scanners. This leads me to believe that either my scanner is too old and cant handle this negative or there is some tweak I need to do in scanning these with my Imacon.

I've attached a photo that show you what I mean by crazy color.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chandra and isabeau.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	131074

Re: imacon flextight precision ii scanning fuji fp-100c negative reclamation

It should be able to handle it--are you scanning as .fff?

Sir.

Its an older scanner with the scsi port so I don't think it saves files as fff. I just scan as tif files. I also just read something that if you want to get an more easy to scan neg off the Fuji fp-100c you have to under expose by 1-2 stops. That makes sense because the negatives look dense when the positive print is exposed properly.

I know the scanner well--if you're scanning using flexcolor you should be able to both save as a .fff and work with the color channels to get a proper color balance. I don't have the program in front of me at the moment, but I'll see if I can dig up a workflow. You also want to make sure that you're editing the file in flexcolor with the output histograms. The only problem I've had with the precision II is with extremely dense negatives--if it's way overexposed it can be problematic, but not impossible. The .fff lets you just scan once and then work with the file over and over, re-pulling .tiffs.

This happens to me on my Epson v700 with some of my FP100c negatives. Typically, I see it when the negative is underexposed or I didn't get the negative cleaned up properly. Mine have never been this drastically green though. What method are you using to recover your negatives?

I saw this video a while ago and it has drastically improved my negatives and the resulting scans. Scans are still much harder to color balance than normal negatives which I think is to be expected due to the blue tint on the negatives.

Hope this helps!

Pali

Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I know the scanner well--if you're scanning using flexcolor you should be able to both save as a .fff and work with the color channels to get a proper color balance. I don't have the program in front of me at the moment, but I'll see if I can dig up a workflow. You also want to make sure that you're editing the file in flexcolor with the output histograms. The only problem I've had with the precision II is with extremely dense negatives--if it's way overexposed it can be problematic, but not impossible. The .fff lets you just scan once and then work with the file over and over, re-pulling .tiffs.
    Ohh man if you can dig up a workflow that would be rad! Do all versions of flexcolor let you save as .fff or only the new ones? I got the scanner for a steal and its beautiful with properly exposed 4x5 negs.

This has nothing to do with 3f format.
    All you need to do is set the maque selection area within 85% of the image area, and make sure it does not include any black or white edges.
    Set the profile to any color negative type, and hit the auto adjust button. You should get close to perfect with that.

If that does not do it, the negative either has too much density, or, it is actually the neutral color position of that image.

Sir.

Yesss! Thanks for that video. I am taping the negs to glass and using a spray bottle with bleach then rinsing them off with warm water. Taping the negs to glass is a pain in the glass. The method in the video is way better.

I recently did a test where I underexposed the photo and neg was way better when scanned. The downside is the print was dark. Ohh well I guess you can't have both.

I too would be interested in this Andy .. Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Alin Dragulin View Post
    Ohh man if you can dig up a workflow that would be rad! Do all versions of flexcolor let you save as .fff or only the new ones? I got the scanner for a steal and its beautiful with properly exposed 4x5 negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alin Dragulin View Post
    the Precision II and newer scanners have the same hardware. The difference is the sensor. The last SCSI flex color is 4.0.3 for PC and .4 for mac. In any case you can scan 3F on any Imacon, and any version of FC, and in any case, has nothing to do with the issue you are having.

The overly dense negative might have something to do with this shift, but the software should correct it just the same, regardless of how old the machine is. The latest imacon is not much newer then the II you have now.