Page 303 of 655 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

I believe the 100 and 400 speed refers to system speed: The imaging system consisting of the film and the proper intensifying screens that fluoresce under x-rays to expose the film. Place the wrong kind of film into the wrong kind of screens and the resulting system speed drops to around 10 (as I guesstamate from my experience in x-ray). So green x-ray film isn't the same speed when exposed by light in a camera as TMAX 400, nor is blue x-ray film the same speed as Delta 100. I don't believe any ASA/ISO number has been assigned to x-ray film used in-camera and exposed to white light.

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Weimer; 1-Nov-2014 at 19:54. Reason: not precise in my wording

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Weimer View Post
    I believe the 100 and 400 speed refers to system speed: The imaging system consisting of the film and the proper intensifying screens that fluoresce under x-rays to expose the film. Place the wrong kind of film into the wrong kind of screens and the resulting system speed drops to around 10 (as I guesstamate from my experience in x-ray). So green x-ray film isn't the same speed when exposed by light in a camera as TMAX 400, nor is blue x-ray film the same speed as Delta 100. I don't believe any ASA/ISO number has been assigned to x-ray film used in-camera and exposed to white light.
    I think you are right. I also find it interesting that some folks think that film speed is more important than tonal rendition, and whether or not the film has anti-haloid backing.
    Ralph

I did something wrong on the above post, 2161. My comment is in the last two sentences. Thank you, and sorry for the confusion.

a first test to check if it works at all.

Crown Graphic, 6.8/90mm Angulon,
    Fuji AD-M, 18x24, cut into 9x12 sheets, iso 100,
    Rodinal 1+120, 18°C and 8min. (approx.)
    slightly adjusted in Lightroom.

Based on a very recent foray into industrial radiography at work, this is correct, except that the "film speed" is the contribution to the "system speed" that is not due to the "screen speed". So a 400-speed film with a matching "fast" screen will have a system speed of 800, for which there is no parallel in the photographic world.

Combining a blue-sensitive film with a green-emitting screen will give lousy results. When I learned this, it suddenly dawned on me why I had to expose CSG at an E.I. of 80 when using strobes, but 64 or less if the exposure was made with only the (tungsten) modeling lights. And when one of the modeling lights was dimmed to match a low flash output, the results were strangely unlike I expected. You might expect that someone who started taking pictures in the 1960s, when film boxes had both "daylight" and "tungsten" ratings marked on them, would remember that even tungsten-halogen lamps aren't the same color temperature as a strobe!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

this was shot today using a titan 8x10 pinhole camera, I have a filter on the inside and I forgot to add a bit of exposure for it, green sensitive xray film, f288 6 min. exposure. There was a bit of evening light coming in.

goforth creek, pinhole 8x10 by goldenimageworks65, on Flickr
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    this was shot today using a titan 8x10 pinhole camera, I have a filter on the inside and I forgot to add a bit of exposure for it, green sensitive xray film, f288 6 min. exposure. There was a bit of evening light coming in.

goforth creek, pinhole 8x10 by goldenimageworks65, on Flickr
    Nice! We may as well throw out all our expensive gear.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Nice! We may as well throw out all our expensive gear.
    yeah. well... just shout when you do i can use some of your lenses )))

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    turned out quite well, despite all the forgetting, imho

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    yeah. well... just shout when you do i can use some of your lenses )))
    Not dead yet!
    Tin Can