Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copal shutter

Copal shutter

Suggestions please;

I have recently purchased a Fujinon W 120mm 5.6 lens (lens description is written on the outside rim of the front element) The shutter is a Copal N°0 but an older one, the shutter speed adjustment ring is chrome with small rectangular knurling. The lens is in a Technika lens board. The back surface of the copal shutter has a small set screw proud of the surface which acts a locator into a small hole in the lens board.

I have to place the lens in a arca swiss lens board which does not have a small hole to receive a locator so the board and shutter do not sit correctly. Can anyone let me know if this small locator screw can be removed from the shutter without any issues, or must I drill a small hole into the lens board ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Peter

Re: Copal shutter

You can remove the alignment screw

One reason to drill a hole for the pin -- instead of removing the pin -- is that it allows you to place the top of the shutter wherever you want, AND it will stay in place when you are adding or removing filters, removing or adding lens elements, etc.
    Last edited by xkaes; 17-Sep-2017 at 07:53.

Thanks guys. The locator hole is a good idea. It's the first time I have ever seen these locator holes.

Peter

Drilling a hole in the correct location is somewhat tricky. Instead, you can use a small triangular file to cut a notch to allow for the screw. This will also prevent the shutter from turning.

Quote Originally Posted by 12pmc View Post
    Thanks guys. The locator hole is a good idea. It's the first time I have ever seen these locator holes.

Peter
    No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens. Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens. Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.
    I can only think of one word for this -- BALONEY, or is that BOLOGNA?. First, I've never removed a lens, permanently, from its board, and if I did -- for some inextricable reason -- I could simply fill the locator hole with a small dab of black silicone sealant -- for some, other, inextricable reason.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I can only think of one word for this -- BALONEY. First, I've never removed a lens, permanently, from its board, and if I did -- for some inextricable reason -- I could simply fill the locator hole with black silicone sealant -- for some inextricable reason.
    You have never replaced a lens by a new one, better one or just a different one. Therefore nobody else can? And filling a hole in a lens board is not really an attractive solution to the problem, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    filling a hole in a lens board is not really an attractive solution to the problem, is it?
    Since the hole is on the rear of the shutter, you will never see it. Plus it is not necessary to seal it -- plus it is so small, you can't see it with a magnifying glass! I hope you have something more important to worry about.
    Last edited by xkaes; 17-Sep-2017 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Since the hole is on the rear of the shutter, you will never see it. Plus it is not necessary to seal it -- plus it is so small, you can't see it with a magnnifying glass! I hope you have something more important to worry about.
    Seems to me son, YOU worry about it too much. What about it the new shutter is smaller than the old one? Ever thought about different lens sizes? And small it is, but well visible by naked eye. I hope you have something valid to say and without being impolite in the process.