Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????

Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????

Hello all:

I'm a photography student in college, and I would like to start printing on fiber paper. We have a very old dark room with lots of old gear to use. Problem is, we lost our instructor last semester, and the new one does not know how to use the print dryer.

It is a Premiere B-2, a 20" wide stainless cylinder about 10" in diameter with a cloth that rolls around it.

Stacked by it, is a stack of 16x20 paper that evidently goes with it. It is glossy on one side, and flat on the other side.

We have tried several times to use the machine, but the fiber prints never come out right.

Does anyone know how to use this machine? If so, we would highly appreciate a simple set of instructions for both glossy paper, and luster paper.

Thanks for looking....

Richard Hollingsworth

PS: We also have a flattening press to use with it. Do you also know how to use the press? Do you need paper blotters with it, or do you just put the print in and press it? How long?

Thanks again.....

Re: Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????

Hi, I would suggest just squeegeeing the prints and air drying them on screens (like window screens). A print dryer is difficult to use because if the glossy print surface is toward the drum it may stick or melt. If toward the cloth, it may get dust or chems imbedded in the surface.

To flatten with a press, let the press heat up with 2 pieces of 4 ply mat board inside. Try 200 degrees F. After it's hot, open the press to let some of the moisture out of the boards, then close it again to heat up. To flatten, put your print in between the mat boards and press for 30 seconds. Take the print out and quickly place under a flattening plate/board until it cools down.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

That device is supposed to heat up, and adjust the heat by a rheostat.
    Do not use it with resin coated medium.
    I used it only for paper.

If you do use it, do not try to put the emulsion side down. Use emulsion side toward the apron. It is useful for quick drying of non-critical prints into a matte-like finish.

Go for Jon's good advice. It is safer and works better. I defer to his judgement concerning proper temperature of the flattening press.

We used one at college years ago, it is for Fibre Based paper only, you add a small amount of photoflo to an after wash bath, soak the print, dry emulsion side down for satin type finish, dry emulsion side up for 'super glossy prints'. If I remember correctly the best results came from the thinner lighter based papers. It takes a little adjusting to get fully repeatable results but once set up correctly is a joy to use.

Fiber based only. The shiny drum will impart a high high gloss on the print. Its called ferroplate, I think. The gloss is reminiscent of 8x10 glossy promo pics you used to see. The metal surface has to be immaculate. You'd be surprised high quickly it will dry a fiber print, as in minutes. When the photograph is done it will pop off the surface by itself. Don't try to pry it off or lift it. The apron is used to hold the photo next to the heater. If you don't want the gloss, you can dry the print with the image away from the shiny metal. In this case, the apron has to be free of dust debris threads etc or they will stick to the picture. There are also warnings of fixer getting into the apron so you want to make sure your prints are clean and hypo free.

I like the high gloss. It is much glossier than any manufacturers' gloss. Looks like glass. But if there were air bubbles or any scratches or contamination on the plate, it will show up. Sometimes the surface has marks on it called oystering which when you see it you will know why its called that.

I think the press is a dry mount press for mounting with tissue after drying.

Totally speeds drying but will give just a bit of curl to the paper. Best luck!

Octogenarian

Google "ferrotype".

Used to be used for drying glossy surface silver gelatin papers.

Doesl not work with fiber base papers.

Your drum drier is not a ferrotype dryer.

Yes, ferrotype is erroneous. However, you can dry prints on ferrotype plates. Chromium plates are used to impart the gloss. Your print dryer was designed to do that. It will work with fiber based only. Your drum dryer is not a ferrotype plate, but it is used to impart a gloss to a fiber print. Not to mention dry your prints quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It is useful for quick drying of non-critical prints into a matte-like finish.
    What he said.

Gloss.

Whoa!!!!

Thank you all do much for the help and advise. So, let me get this straight......If I use glossy fiber paper, put the gloss side towards the drum.....If I use luster paper, then put the emulsion side towards the cloth. Is that right?

Thanks again.....

Richard