Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Wisconsin

Re: Hello From Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by bill2424 View Post
    Hi John welcome I'm in Waukesha
    Hi Bill, thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the shout out, I hope you're surviving this pandemic unscathed.

Oh a cheese head! When I was young a couple of my friends and I visited Milwaukee and caught a Brewer's game. A bunch of fans were wearing these big yellow cheese hats. It was pretty cool!

Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you!

Quote Originally Posted by jkoster59 View Post
    ...So I'm going to slow down...
    I like the idea of spending a lot of time under the darkcloth and just getting use to the camera and the control one has over the image. And one does not need to burn film to see, since everything is on the GG. Tie the bellows in knots, see the affect on DoF when reducing the size of the aperture, and all that fun stuff. Let the muscle memory of camera operation set in. Then the camera operation becomes fun, and makes the rest of it exciting. I have not quite reached that point with my 11x14, but the 8x10 almost gets up on the tripod and sets up on its own.

Enjoy!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by jkoster59 View Post
    Thank you all for such a warm welcome! Too bad this Covid-19 pandemic hasn't lightened the mood any, lol. I'm an older guy and I love the look of large format but wow there is a learning curve. I wanted to be able to do everything from start to finish, from loading my 4X5, shooting, developing and scanning, but I feel overwhelmed. So I'm going to slow down and just try and get one thing right at a time, the need to be methodical for this kind of photography is essential, from what I'm seeing. Again, thanks all!
    John, At age 68 I think I'm "older" too, but I've only been using LF for about 7-8 years, and tackling a new learning curve was a big part of my motivation and decision to take the plunge. As I've mentioned, I'm in Racine, and would be glad to discuss and share visits as you might care to. Also, there are a couple of other much more experienced LFers from New Berlin and Shorewood who are members of the MWLF Asylum that FrancisF mentioned (#7 above), and who were kind enough to greatly help me up my learning curve.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

All these Cheeseheads.
    A trivia question for them.

Name the first Green Bay Quarterback to win a Super Bowl.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Bart Starr won the first two Super Bowls.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Les

Welcome to LF forum. From a PNW dude, that's incognito on the E. Coast.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Bart Starr won the first two Super Bowls.
    Nope, Bart Starr won two NFL-AFL Championship games. He never played in a Super Bowl game. The name did not come til later and now people forget how it started and call them all Super Bowl games. You knew there had to be a catch... right?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    John, At age 68 I think I'm "older" too, but I've only been using LF for about 7-8 years, and tackling a new learning curve was a big part of my motivation and decision to take the plunge. As I've mentioned, I'm in Racine, and would be glad to discuss and share visits as you might care to. Also, there are a couple of other much more experienced LFers from New Berlin and Shorewood who are members of the MWLF Asylum that FrancisF mentioned (#7 above), and who were kind enough to greatly help me up my learning curve.
    Fantastic! I’d love to talk by phone when you have the time, I’ve got a bunch of questions about the entire process!! I’ll message you and maybe we can set up a little time? So appreciated!

Willie, to us Packer fans Starr won the first Super Bowls!! And actually, they are considered Super Bowls I and II.