Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up the view camera---am I nuts?

Giving up the view camera---am I nuts?

Sorry Darr. Perhaps there is something wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Thanks !

Well, I made my decision, packed up my 8x10 Zone VI camera this afternoon and sent it off to Midwest Photo in trade for a Mamiya 7 with an 80mm lens. I will probably sell all the lenses, holders, cases, backpack, and other stuff on eBay. I think I will dump the JOBO too. If any of you need some things let me know.

I've been using my friend's camera and found it immediately an extension of the Leica. So I am confident that I will be making more photographs. For the past few years I have been struggling to simplify things and only have the things I need. This is another step in that direction.

The down side is that I won't have a large format camera anymore and will have to become a voyeur here.....

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Ken: "What would you recommend today ?"

Tough question since I retired a few years ago and have been out of the portrait studio business since then, but I did use the Hasselblad 500 CM for 20+ years and never regretted it. Before the Hasselblad, I tried a Bronica ETRS but found it to be somewhat flimsy and I do not care for the 645 format. After my studio retirement in 1998, I sold all of my Hassy equipment and within 2 years I started missing the portrait work. So I purchased a Mamiya RB67 just for grins since they were much cheaper than a used Hassy system. I used it a few times, but I have decided it is just not for me. I guess I just got use to the one piece Hassy chrome body and its 150 mm portrait lens was superior for my tastes. The RB is a larger camera and focusing is different (bellows extension) than the spin of the Hasselblad lens. Last year I decided to buy a used 500 CM, 80mm and 150 mm lens with a reflex viewfinder and I tell myself I will sell the RB at some time in the future. There are a lot of portrait photographers that swear by the RB, and I wish so much for the 6x7 format, but I am so accustomed to the Hasselblad that I just felt the need to return to it.

I started in the portrait business back in the late 70's and I think there are probably many other options out there today that I am unaware of. Dare I say digital? What worked for me was to find the photographers that were doing the kind of stuff that I wanted to create (and get paid for) and follow their steps until I found my own nitch. I found Monty Zucker (http://www.montezucker.com/index.html) to be an inspiration. I utilized the benefits and guidance of the Professional Photographers of America (http://www.ppa.com/splash.cfm) for retail/professional studio operations. I did successfully complete the PPA's certification program and utilized their salon print competitions to help market myself professionally. I am not interested in hyping myself, but I did well if being booked two years ahead is a mark of success. Some of my past clients included Ray Charles, The Fox Theatre, Ritz Carlton, Kodak, and I did photograph a few famous weddings, one being baseball player Jason Veritek (now with the Boston Red Sox).

If I was you, I would look at the PPA for some info and look at who is doing well in the portrait business in your area. I worked in the Marietta/Atlanta Georgia area and was affiliated with the Georgia Professional Photographers Association. I made many business connections that paid off through the Association. I would also look at the gear the folks that are successful at making portraiture their living at this time are using. I retired as a commercial photographer so I can finally begin a fine art career which I was always told is much more difficult; we'll see. If I can be any further help, feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,
    Darr

Wonderful, Darr - Thanks so much !!

Steve,
    What Jobo stuff do you have that you are planning to let go of?

Diane,

I have a JOBO CPP2 with lift. Several tanks including a 3005 Expert Drum for 8x10. I will try and email you.

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Re: Giving up the view camera---am I nuts?

Wow. Reading a post from 14 years ago is an interesting way to start another year.

My 8x10 Zone VI camera has been gone for a long time but I still find myself trolling eBay and the internet for another beast. I surrendered the camera because I wasn't using it. No projects required it and the sort of forced use just seemed dishonest. Add back problems to the mix at that time and it just didn't fit into my life.

Fast forward 14 years. I regret selling my Leica M6 system even though working with a Fuji X100F is more functional and I get similar results though now in color. Digital black and white has left me cold, most likely because of some subconscious predjudice against it. An Epson P800 upstairs makes outstanding prints though for a month long gallery show in August 2018 I used MPIX to print all the work other than two 40x60 inch prints. And almost everything was done with a point and shoot camera with a 12MP file size. I sold more prints at that show than any other of my career. There was a lesson for me that I readily forget as I chase fine grane, elegant tonality and a host of other technical qualities -- it's all about content. Content. Content. Content.

Here's a link to that show of my scooter riding work: https://scooterinthesticks.com/2018/08/scooter-in-the-sticks-a-photo-exhibition-by-steve-williams/

I still have my darkroom functioning and have acquired a Zone VI 4x5 camera and a Nikon F3HP camera. Both are fun to use but suffer from the same lack of a focused project. I just sort of wander with them playing the "greatest hits" game.

It's been fun to reflect on the 8x10 days. And in fact, for a short time after the Zone VI was gone, I had one of the big green Calument monsters. But again, there was no reason to be found to use such a camera. Still, I dream.

Sorry to waste your time here. Just thought it a good way to reflect on the coming year. Happy New Year to all!
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Steve, welcome back!

I read and sent your Scooter in the Cold essay to 2 riding buddies Dec 20th, 2019 https://scooterinthesticks.com/2019/...ity-of-riding/

They loved your story and writing style. I often send them riding tips as I can no longer do that in person. I moved.

and now I can't recall how I found your website, must have been a link here on LFPF. I read old threads.

One of those 2 friends sold me a ton of his father's camera gear, they both make documentary films and teach.

I ride anything on 2 or 3 wheels, many scooters too.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Steve, welcome back!

I read and sent your Scooter in the Cold essay to 2 riding buddies Dec 20th, 2019 https://scooterinthesticks.com/2019/...ity-of-riding/

They loved your story and writing style. I often send them riding tips as I can no longer do that in person. I moved.

and now I can't recall how I found your website, must have been a link here on LFPF. I read old threads.

One of those 2 friends sold me a ton of his father's camera gear, they both make documentary films and teach.

I ride anything on 2 or 3 wheels, many scooters too.
    I've found the riding community seems to maintain connections regardless of proximity. I have friends I communicate regularly with in Canada, Alaska, Colorado and Florida. I dare say the riding community has a connection much like I have with a lot of photographers.

There was snow this morning so that, coupled with a terrible head cold, kept me dozing and binge watching Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares." A friend wants to gather my view camera up and do a photo outing on Friday. A nice trip if I can shake this illness.

Have a good new year and be safe on the road, two wheels or otherwise!
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Awesome thread, and so cool of you Steve to revisit it all these years later!

I've lived with a 6x6 camera most of my life, first a Bronica SQ-Ai, later (and currently) a Rolleiflex 6008i. My "travel" camera (i.e. what your Mamiya 7 was for you) is a Rolleiflex TLR from the 1950's - light, unobtrusive, excellent image quality.

I recently acquired a 4x5 camera after many years of growing curiosity about LF. It's been an experience learning to use it so far, and I still have much to learn. I was really torn on whether to start with 8x10 or 4x5, but figured it's easier to learn on 4x5 as it's lighter, cheaper and easier to find gear for, and can upgrade to 8x10 later if I really miss having those huge negs.

It's impressive to see someone out riding in snow and ice, you are indeed a brave man (which was obvious when you said you sold your Leica, lol).

Thanks for sharing the links to your show, it's an impressive collection of shots, nice to see the story they tell, and as you point out, the gear is only there to allow us to create content, it's all about the content in the end! Something I never get tired of hearing, as I tend to forget it more often than I should.