Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista 45SP -- Focus Screen withOUT grid lines?

Wista 45SP -- Focus Screen withOUT grid lines?

Loving this forum so far, so I thought I would share another question...

I used my 4x5 camera for the first time this past weekend in VT and Western MA while driving home from a bachelor party golf weekend. I stopped in at my old highschool in Northfield/Gill MA and shot some film on campus. I found that the gridded-up focus screen is just WAY TOO BUSY for my purposes. Look -- the screen is already upside down, inverted horizontally, dark, has fresnel circle lines all over the place AND has tiny square grids all over the screen. I honestly could hardly see anything. I can see this gridded screen perhaps being used for very complex architectural purposes, but my lord was it a PITA for me. I need to get rid of those tiny squares so I can actually SEE what I am shooting.

Is there a plain screen I can buy online that will replace the grid screen I currently have?

Are there directions online/youtube video that shows how I go about swapping the new part into my camera?

Re: Wista 45SP -- Focus Screen withOUT grid lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Wista45SP View Post
    Is there a plain screen I can buy online that will replace the grid screen I currently have?
    Yes... ebay: see this search, for example , https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_odkw...glass&_sacat=0

if bigger than required then you may cut it in a window glass shop

you can also make it on your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxC48_sd6BM

No problem if you don't want those lines, but you have the image upside down anyway !

Yes, just order the plain screen Wista one from your favorite camera store. It is normally a special order although Bob Watkins at Precision Camera in IL may have it in stock since he is a service center for them.

But maybe you should use what you have longer as the grids are a great aid in composition.

As for the fresnel rings you should be using a loupe with a focusing eyepiece so it can focus directly on the ground side of your gg rather then the top side.

Also, Wista offers a plain glass as well as a grid glass overlay to protect the gg. Make sure the grid you see is not the overlay. If it is then it can be replaced with the clear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes, just order the plain screen Wista one from your favorite camera store. It is normally a special order although Bob Watkins at Precision Camera in IL may have it in stock since he is a service center for them.

But maybe you should use what you have longer as the grids are a great aid in composition.

As for the fresnel rings you should be using a loupe with a focusing eyepiece so it can focus directly on the ground side of your gg rather then the top side.

Also, Wista offers a plain glass as well as a grid glass overlay to protect the gg. Make sure the grid you see is not the overlay. If it is then it can be replaced with the clear one.
    Bob's your uncle and has the definitive answer here. The Wista OEM screens are among the best and brightest around.

I just want to add that if you end up wanting to unload your gridded screen, I'd be happy to take it off your hands...

Best,

Doremus

Thanks everyone.

Bob, thanks for your tip on making sure the grid is on the overlaid glass protector cover for the plain ground glass. I will check this tonight. I see BH Photo includes both the following options:

1. Wista 4x5 Groundglass Focusing Screen - Plain $56.00

2. Wista 4x5 Protective Plain Top Glass - $36.00

I will see which one I need...

Thanks again.

when I first started shooting my wista, first thing I noticed, how bright the screen was compared to another 4x5 Ive been using for many years with a plain GG.

Then, like you, I thought it was way too busy. But after shooting with this camera for about year I hardly notice the grid anymore. sometimes, I actually appreciate them when lining up horizons or verticals. I think Ive developed a selective sight n can ignore them at will.

Since you will now have both screens, you can change it when you feel you may need the grid lines.

Precision Camera now in Fairfield, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    Precision Camera now in Fairfield, CA
    Now that's good news for me, means I could hand deliver my Master Technika 3000 for any needed work. Wonder what lead to the move.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Now that's good news for me, means I could hand deliver my Master Technika 3000 for any needed work. Wonder what lead to the move.

David
    Most likely the difference in weather between Lake Michigan area winters and Southern CA as well as age.

Fairfield CA is in northern California. But on the I-80 corridor between Sacramento and the east bay, not up in the far north counties. So yes, still much milder weather than the upper mid-west.

David