Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Art?

Re: Is This Art?

In all seriousness...

I don't know if its art or not, but I do know that Nigel Poor and her work at San Quentin has done more for improving humanity and making the world a better place than any photograph that I will ever take.

Is it art? Maybe.

Is it good art? I have no idea.

Is it good? Without a doubt, yes.

oh... that's good stuff

some kooky university / art major language... but that can be ignored

Nice Art.

In modern world we see the art to be named everything a person produces. I think it is wrong.

I do not

Quote Originally Posted by Mariannewhite View Post
    In modern world we see the art to be named everything a person produces. I think it is wrong.
    Tin Can

multiplex

yep its art

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Today's curators often consider themselves artists, creating novel "artistic" exhibitions from art created by others, often reinterpreting it to their own ends. Whether that's good or bad is another thing...
    Having just finished my master's I ran into a lot of these types of curators. Too bold to stay in their lane but often not talented enough to create their own works. They often cite Andy Warhol as a defense for their practice but conveniently ignore their massive differences in both history and actual novelty.

They will often speak about repurposing, reframing the conversation, and activating spaces in a new way but it's all derivative of mostly french post-modernists, Derrida and Foucault are most to blame although even their writing's meanings have been usurped and twisted for others use.

These curators more often than not make work about social issues which is one noted. I've seen this same work (prison text/pictures done by inmates) done at least 2 other times by other people. And I've seen the text over photographs format countless times and it's lost its impact on me by now.

Curators in my opinion should focus on curation. Their exhibitions should take artists intentions into account but in contemporary times we are seeing a shift towards reinterpretation and I refuse to work with any curators that do this.

Edit: is it art? Yes by today's definition but that doesn't mean I have to like or respect it. He's gaining fame and possibly money off of the suffering of the works creators. I would like it more if he was acting as a faceless avatar getting the work into the right hands but as of right now he is really the only one that stands to gain from this so at least for me I can't enjoy it even if the words, text, and photographs are beautiful.
    Last edited by RodinalDuchamp; 29-Oct-2019 at 11:20. Reason: I forgot to answer the question

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    is it art? Yes by today's definition but that doesn't mean I have to like or respect it. He's gaining fame and possibly money off of the suffering of the works creators. I would like it more if he was acting as a faceless avatar getting the work into the right hands but as of right now he is really the only one that stands to gain from this so at least for me I can't enjoy it even if the words, text, and photographs are beautiful.
    Well, she's faceless enough that you assumed she's a man!

The rest of it, well, that isn't true either.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Well, she's faceless enough that you assumed she's a man!

The rest of it, well, that isn't true either.
    Sorry I've never met a lady named Nigel so yes I assumed it was a man. More importantly I was looking at the pictures and approach to which I responded. I don't care if she's a woman or man makes no difference. As to my other statements you fail to make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Sorry I've never met a lady named Nigel so yes I assumed it was a man. More importantly I was looking at the pictures and approach to which I responded. I don't care if she's a woman or man makes no difference. As to my other statements you fail to make your point.
    As we often say here for all sorts of topics. Use Google. I recommend the keywords "ear hustle."

Nigel Poor's been actively volunteering at San Quentin for nearly 20 years. Her work there is very well known and she's loved by the inmates.