Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Re: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

I'm curious. I've bought Josef Seibel (German) slippers and other shoes through a store in London shipped here to America. I believe the cost was just an additional $15 to cover the shipping over the product retail selling price in London. The models I bought are not sold in America through a US distributor. What's the best cheapest way to do that in the future now that GB isn't in the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm curious. I've bought Josef Seibel (German) slippers and other shoes through a store in London shipped here to America. I believe the cost was just an additional $15 to cover the shipping over the product retail selling price in London. The models I bought are not sold in America through a US distributor. What's the best cheapest way to do that in the future now that GB isn't in the EU?
    I think it's going to depend on whether the London store actually shipped them to you or if they were "drop shipped" from the German manufacturers. At least in theory the London store now has to pay duty on import from Germany (assuming they physically take possession). But they may pay less or no duty if they are re-exporting them; though that could be tricky on a one-off sale. Best bet is to find a seller in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I think it's going to depend on whether the London store actually shipped them to you or if they were "drop shipped" from the German manufacturers. At least in theory the London store now has to pay duty on import from Germany (assuming they physically take possession). But they may pay less or no duty if they are re-exporting them; though that could be tricky on a one-off sale. Best bet is to find a seller in Germany.
    In the US, even if you take possession, you don't pay sales tax if the product is resold.
    The distributor just furnishes a "resale certificate" so the sales tax is waived. So for example, if a New York wine store buys wine from let's say a NY winery, the store would provide a resale certificate to the winery so it would not pay the tax. Then when it's sold, the final customer pays the sales tax to the store which then pays NYS the same tax received from the customer.

Alternatively, if the store did pay the sales tax initially to the winery, then they would take a credit for what they paid and send the sales tax to NYS collected from the end-user. The credit they paid to the winery would be offset by the winery's payment to NYS and would be a wash to the government. But the government would get the final sales tax.

Wouldn't it be the same in Britain? Wouldn't they just take a credit for the VAT that isn't being charged to their American customer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    In the US, even if you take possession, you don't pay sales tax if the product is resold.
    The distributor just furnishes a "resale certificate" so the sales tax is waived. So for example, if a New York wine store buys wine from let's say a NY winery, the store would provide a resale certificate to the winery so it would not pay the tax. Then when it's sold, the final customer pays the sales tax to the store which then pays NYS the same tax received from the customer.

Alternatively, if the store did pay the sales tax initially to the winery, then they would take a credit for what they paid and send the sales tax to NYS collected from the end-user. The credit they paid to the winery would be offset by the winery's payment to NYS and would be a wash to the government. But the government would get the final sales tax.

Wouldn't it be the same in Britain? Wouldn't they just take a credit for the VAT that isn't being charged to their American customer?
    The issue here is import duties from the EU to Britain. Not Britain's VAT.

The bottom line is that when buying used goods from the UK into EU countries you will be charged for VAT and import taxes. Yes it is exactly the same as buying from the US. But I used to buy freely photographica from the UK (including ebay), now only when it is the only alternative. I guess UK private sellers will sell less to the EU.

This is just one person's experience of how import Eu/UK and UK/EU has gone.
    Especialy as regards the 5% VAT rate for antiques/collectibles.

Case study 1. Export from Denmark to the Uk. Declaration filled out with true value (of course!). Text about "antique/collectible lens - eligible for reduced 5% import VAT" added to the print-out and repeated in larger text on the package.
    This arrived at the destination a few days later than usual - without any taxes or fees being leveled.

Possible reasons:
    - Just luck.
    - Breakdown in import processing:
    A. Not enough warehouse space
    B. Not enough staff
    C. Parcels that suggest major correspondence/Admin/precedence are ignored

I havn't seen any news commentary in the UK media, but perhaps there has been some?

Case study 2. Export of item from UK auction house to Denmark. The auction house do there own packing and have a agreement with TNT. The auction house were asked to add the " Antique...... 5% VAT" to the address label!

Tracking showed an abrupt halt in progression over a week ago with just "processing" as the key word" Can't say I am surprised. THe same things I mentioned in case study 1 will apply here - perhaps they just have bigger warehouses!
    I suspect a month long battle as there is a "private" company involved - the other example involved the old state authorised carrier organisation.

Thanks a lot Ron, I’m from NL too, I didn’t dare to order because of this customs thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Case study 1. Possible reasons: - Just luck.
    Case study 2. Export of item from UK auction house to Denmark.
    Tracking showed an abrupt halt in progression over a week ago with just "processing" as the key word" Can't say I am surprised. THe same things I mentioned in case study 1 will apply here - perhaps they just have bigger warehouses!
    I suspect a month long battle as there is a "private" company involved - the other example involved the old state authorised carrier organisation.
    Case study 1. I suspect that the 'luck' is that only a % of parcels are actually selected for checking and processing - certainly this used to be the case in the UK for parcels from outside the EU and I very much doubt that anything has changed significantly or that other systems are drastically different.
    Case study 2. I have a friend in Ireland who is waiting to find out if there is a similar delay for a parcel from the UK too. Oothers have arrived with his friends with no duies applied apparently, suggesting that everything is still hit and miss.

The Irish approach to customs duties has been a bit random in the past too.

I had to pay about 25% on a Commercial Ektar I bought from the US.

A Wide Field Ektar, also from the US, attracted no charges.

The Ebay Global Shipping charges certainly make me think carefully before buying.

I will take my chances with a Custom Bellows order very soon, I have waited a long time to own a Technika and the good weather is hopefully on the way...

I bought some lens from UK 1 of january when heard news about Brexit - one day late obviously.
    It took one month for delivery instead of ~ 5 working days last year.
    Parcel went through UK customs with declared real value of 90 pounds.
    However I was not charged for import VAT and my thoughts are that not all EU postal services were ready to proceed UK parcels properly from 1.1.2021