Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camera and Technique of Andreas Gursky (Then And Now)

Drew Wiley

Re: The Camera and Technique of Andreas Gursky (Then And Now)

Well, I'm not going to take that bait, though I think I have looked at every one of those images in their far less than ideal web fashion at one time or another. And I too prefer earlier work. He seemed to get stuck in a predictable groove later on, not quite as bad as a stuck record, but at least a bit annoying. Comparing him to Rothko? - no way. He certainly doesn't have that kind of handle on color sophistication, not even close. Inventing perspective? - just look at centuries of traditional Chinese painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, I'm not going to take that bait, though I think I have looked at every one of those images in their far less than ideal web fashion at one time or another. And I too prefer earlier work. He seemed to get stuck in a predictable groove later on, not quite as bad as a stuck record, but at least a bit annoying. Comparing him to Rothko? - no way. He certainly doesn't have that kind of handle on color sophistication, not even close. Inventing perspective? - just look at centuries of traditional Chinese painting.
    I meant that the experience of seeing a Gursky photograph (like his Schiphol photograph) parallels the experience I get when I see a Rothko painting. The two artists are, otherwise, very different, especially in regard to color. And the experience I mean has less to do with color and more to do with the overwhelming size of the print and canvas, respectively. Also, his perspective is relatively original in fine art photography. In comparison to master painters and painting, not so much, but then again Gursky isn't a painter.

Drew Wiley

Well, one thing they sometimes have in common is fugitive color. Some of Rothko's paintings faded rather quickly. His work also skyrocketed in price fairly quickly, and most of us probably already know how the mafia moved in and turned him into their captive art slave. Fame has its disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, one thing they sometimes have in common is fugitive color. Some of Rothko's paintings faded rather quickly. His work also skyrocketed in price fairly quickly, and most of us probably already know how the mafia moved in and turned him into their captive art slave. Fame has its disadvantages.
    Agreed.

It seems like Gursky is willing to try new things, however conservative he may be. He's not as inventive as other artists and photographers; he admitted in an early interview that he was very unsure of himself as an artist to begin with. The money and inflated prices seemed to have validated that, at least to him, he is indeed an artist, even one to be taken seriously. I think he's aware of his limitations. His output is very small, but that's because he knows that creating a good photograph, one to be considered a work of art anyway, is extremely difficult.

... Just trying to keep this thread alive...

Drew Wiley

I'm tuned in, but done pontificating for awhile. It's an interesting subject.

45-57-617

in response to post #3 ...

I can't follow this thread because of this:

Video unavailable - This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Anyone got a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    in response to post #3 ...

I can't follow this thread because of this:

Video unavailable - This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Anyone got a copy?
    it was kind of a glib half serious side note, note really connected to the OP's question – but here's another link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCL1SnIYZUw

Drew Wiley

The Mickey Mouse clock in the background at the start of the video says it all.

Can anyone tell me what 5x7 camera model Gursky is using in this photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	193896

I think this very camera might be the same one that he took his most famous pictures with.