Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First 8x10 Advice/Suggestions

Re: First 8x10 Advice/Suggestions

8x10 gets a lot more expensive to buy and use than 4x5. How much more expensive depends what weight of equipment and what you are producing as a end product. The lenses are usually more expensive and there are a smaller number of them. Obviously different than 4x5, more weight, heavier tripod, bigger everything. Contact print or enlarge? Enlargers are a lot bigger and heavier and a lot more expensive - with lenses too. If a V8 is heavy than I would be concerned - there will be a lot of weight - it does seems to be proportional to expense. OK, the next factor I didn't realize when I started with 8x10 is that there is far less depth-of-field. I wanted more detail more information on my prints. Ignorantly on my part, I thought for example that a wide angle on 8x10 was like a wide angle on 4x5 ( which I had been using for 30 plus years). Depth of field on 8x10 - a 165mm or 155mm lens on 8x10 is the same as it is on 4x5 - not at all like depth of field of a 90mm or 75mm lens on 4x5. So shooting 8x10 is very different. My first 8x10 was an old wood camera (something similar to a Kodak 2D) - it got me started. I wasn't able to control camera movement blur that well so I went to a metal Calumet C-1 which is very heavy 18 pounds. Still 8x10 requires more attentiveness to detail than 4x5 while taking images and printing. Even with a 10 pound camera I would be hauling around 50 pounds plus. All of the advise above comes from seasoned photographers - and is very helpful. I wish you the best journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    There's a Toyo 810G on ebay for about $1K (I don't know anything about the seller). In general Toyo cameras are excellent but perhaps on the heavy side.

There is an old thread started on the Toyo 810G
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...G-in-the-field
    Actually did see that one too as it looked a pretty economical way to get an 8x10. I asked the seller on the weight and it is around 15 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    8x10 gets a lot more expensive to buy and use than 4x5. How much more expensive depends what weight of equipment and what you are producing as a end product. The lenses are usually more expensive and there are a smaller number of them. Obviously different than 4x5, more weight, heavier tripod, bigger everything. Contact print or enlarge? Enlargers are a lot bigger and heavier and a lot more expensive - with lenses too. If a V8 is heavy than I would be concerned - there will be a lot of weight - it does seems to be proportional to expense. OK, the next factor I didn't realize when I started with 8x10 is that there is far less depth-of-field. I wanted more detail more information on my prints. Ignorantly on my part, I thought for example that a wide angle on 8x10 was like a wide angle on 4x5 ( which I had been using for 30 plus years). Depth of field on 8x10 - a 165mm or 155mm lens on 8x10 is the same as it is on 4x5 - not at all like depth of field of a 90mm or 75mm lens on 4x5. So shooting 8x10 is very different. My first 8x10 was an old wood camera (something similar to a Kodak 2D) - it got me started. I wasn't able to control camera movement blur that well so I went to a metal Calumet C-1 which is very heavy 18 pounds. Still 8x10 requires more attentiveness to detail than 4x5 while taking images and printing. Even with a 10 pound camera I would be hauling around 50 pounds plus. All of the advise above comes from seasoned photographers - and is very helpful. I wish you the best journey.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, all great points.

The last time I bought a tennis racquet, I asked a Pro for advice.
    He told me to look for one I could picture myself on the court using.
    That way I'd be more likely to take it out and use it---if not it will collect dust in the closet, rather than going out and playing the game--- which is the only way to improve.

Maybe 8x10 cameras are kind of like tennis racquets that way.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The last time I bought a tennis racquet, I asked a Pro for advice.
    He told me to look for one I could picture myself on the court using.
    That way I'd be more likely to take it out and use it---if not it will collect dust in the closet, rather than going out and playing the game--- which is the only way to improve.

Maybe 8x10 cameras are kind of like tennis racquets that way.
    Excellent way to put it, thanks!

New Orleans, LA

For an 8x10 field camera I'm a big fan of the Kodak KMV 8x10; essentially a metal Deardorff (same weight and movements) with the added benefits of front shift and quick front extension feature that makes roughing in the focus quick and easy. Using short lenses is no problem and, if you are a fan of long lenses, there is a 1/4/20 hole in the front standard that you can put a tripod or monopod or some other support to keep things steady. I used a Deardorff for over a decade before switching to the KMV. Primary reason was the quick focus feature. Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee used these and for good reason. Also, I think they sell for less than the more prestigious Deardorff. Good luck in your move to 8x10!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...asterview.html

I've always heard good things about those KMV's.The only downside I ever heard was the lens boards are hard to come by, but you can get them made up pretty easily from what I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    For an 8x10 field camera I'm a big fan of the Kodak KMV 8x10; essentially a metal Deardorff (same weight and movements) with the added benefits of front shift and quick front extension feature that makes roughing in the focus quick and easy. Using short lenses is no problem and, if you are a fan of long lenses, there is a 1/4/20 hole in the front standard that you can put a tripod or monopod or some other support to keep things steady. I used a Deardorff for over a decade before switching to the KMV. Primary reason was the quick focus feature. Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee used these and for good reason. Also, I think they sell for less than the more prestigious Deardorff. Good luck in your move to 8x10!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...asterview.html

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I've always heard good things about those KMV's.The only downside I ever heard was the lens boards are hard to come by, but you can get them made up pretty easily from what I have been told.
    I had S.K. Grimes adapt a Technika board to an original KMV board and mount all my lenses on Technika boards which are very common. Glenn at http://www.glennview.com/ does a conversion to Sinar boards for another option.

Hiking with an 8x10, a tripod that will support an 8x10, a big lens in a big shutter that covers 8x10 and a passel of 8x10 film holders is a very heavy load to carry, so I'll suggest buying the first camera that comes along so you can use it before you get any older.
    Just sayin'
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Weight of any 8x10 field folder is nil compared to the weight of all involved with making images. From tripod/tripod head to a stack of film holder, lenses, focusing aids, lenses, light meter and ... easily adds up to a whole lot more than a few extra pounds of camera..

Add to this, using an 8x10 or larger camera outdoors is not easy, specially if environmental conditions get windy.. Stability of the set up remains a top consideration.. and where a light weight camera outfit degrades.. Essentially a lower weight view camera is inherently less stable/rigid and all those factors that aid in image quality..

For a good number of view camera folks 8x10 is considered the "ultimate" sheet film format.. IMO, it's not and more speciality then what that sheet film format offers. The very real and rational trade off is 5x7 / 13x18cm.. which not a lot heavier/bulkier than 4x5 with significantly improved image quality over 4x5, best selection of view camera lenses, easier to deal with than 8x10 and reasonable sized enlargers and related...

Then there is cost of film and all related to that.. which has never been low cost or 8x10 film. Cost of gear rapidly becomes nil compared to the cost of film and related for 8x10 after the first 100 sheets of film.

That said, think every view camera user needs to try 8x10 at least once...

Bernice