Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker

Fred Picker

I'm rereading Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop book and find it highly educational and inspirational. Did anyone on the forum know Mr. Picker or take one of his workshops? What was he like, and what was the workshop experience like? I wish I had attended one of his workshops. In the book, he talks with reverence about finely crafted silver prints. It has renewed my energy for the darkroom.

Re: Fred Picker

There is a forum member Bruce... who knew Fred very well and worked with him.

That's probably Bruce Barlow, Bob but sadly he died last Year

regards

Andrew

Richard Ritter, who posts here, worked with Fred for fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    That's probably Bruce Barlow, Bob but sadly he died last Year

regards

Andrew
    I am sorry to hear that, I met him at the ash spreading ceremony of Ted Harris,

Bob

Thx Bob

That would make sense, from memory and thx to 'View Camera Mag' they both lived in the Vermont area

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...f-Bruce-Barlow

Stay safe do and all of your family too

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Thx Bob

That would make sense, from memory and thx to 'View Camera Mag' they both lived in the Vermont area

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...f-Bruce-Barlow

Stay safe do and all of your family too

regards

Andrew
    You too,

I fondly remember Ted, he was an amazing person on this Large Format Photography Forum. Incredibly open with his knowledge , his specialty was scanner technology
    and he taught a course at my facility and stayed with my wife and I for a week just 5 days before he passed away.

Bob

I met Fred in 1978 and attended his workshop in 1979. From 1979 - 1982, my wife and I visited Vermont and Fred several times; generally taking him out for dinner and I showed him any new work I had. In 1982, we moved to central Vermont for many reasons, one of which was to be closer making visits easier and as often as to not be obnoxious. I always enjoyed showing Fred my new work, even though it made me very nervous!

As for the man, lots has been said about him, but I would sum him up as a strong person who spoke his mind and didn't suffer fools kindly. He had little patience for students who weren't willing to do the work. He was often admonished for being a keen businessman, but that never bothered me. Half of my darkroom today is filled with equipment bought from Fred over the years. How I wish Brilliant printing paper was still available! How many times have a kicked my own butt for giving away over a thousand sheets of Brilliant and Ilford Ilfobrom when we moved across the country. At the time, I thought I'd be all digital moving into the future...what a fool! I shoot mostly film nowadays.

I met Fred when I took his workshop I believe in the late 1980's. Remember some of this assistants, Richard Ritter, Martin Tarter, Lil Farber and others. Fred was a great inspiration to all. I think Alan surmised Fred's demeanor pretty well. A lot of the stuff Fred produced, I own, a lot I didn't care for. He did believe in what he promoted, and had good reasons for it. Today, most newbies to LF just go out buying wildly without any guidance or direction. Or worse, they look at Youtube and see someone who may not know any more than they do. Whether you agreed with him or not, Fred had convictions and reasons for why he pushed what he did. When you finish reading the Workshop book, re-read the Newsletters. I keep a copy of the Workshop in my car and actually have several copies of it, the Fine Print and Rapa Nui. I miss Fred.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 23-Apr-2020 at 18:24.

Had many discussions with him about the S.E.I. Photometer and how to use it. His method of adapting the S.E.I. to the zone system I found to be very confusing and told him so. I told him of my method of using the S.E.I. and he disagreed with it at no end, but in the end wished me luck and told me that if my method worked for me then of course use it. Also miss his paper of which I still have 2 or 3 unopened boxes of and plan on finally using it up over the next year with a few my most favorite pre-1990 negatives.