Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kim Weston Nude Workshop

Kim Weston Nude Workshop

Has anyone done this? How was your experience?

It seems like it is geared towards digital, given the last day includes printing on an inkjet. What if you shoot film? Is there enough time and space for LF shots? If I were to sign up for this, I would probably shoot both film & digital if possible.

Re: Kim Weston Nude Workshop

Why would you want nude photos of Kim Weston?

Tin Can

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wolfe View Post
    Why would you want nude photos of Kim Weston?
    I believe Jay was funning us. Heck,I bet Kim doesn't/wouldn't know why either.

"Nude workshop." I hope it DOESN'T mean that photographers must be nude while taking part....
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

It seems no-one has attended or knows anyone who has. But there are a lot of dropouts from Dad Humor 101.

Why don't you just ask him? I'm sure Kim is comfortable with any camera. I think he has been doing that workshop since the 90s.

I am interested in opinions and the experience of participants. The samples posted are not my cup of tea--they seem to be by those who run the workshops. I would rather learn from those who have taken the workshop whether it lived up to their expectations and how they felt about the photos they were able to take there.

New Orleans, LA

I took the Nude and Platinum workshop over a dozen years ago and had a great experience. It was still geared toward film then but the most important aspect, for me, was how to work with the models. Kim and Gina emphasized respect, communication, and collaboration as being key to a successful session. Ryujie was a guest instructor for the platinum printing part of the workshop and he and Kim were very thorough in their teaching and guidance. As with any workshop, having other like-minded participants to bounce ideas around with was invaluable as well. Finally, being on Wildcat Hill was practically a spiritual experience for me. I'm sure if you spoke with Kim about shooting film he would be accommodating. He and Gina were very helpful before the workshop in making sure all of the participants expectations were addressed.
    Last edited by Thom Bennett; 21-Nov-2019 at 10:37.

I've been twice. 2009 & 2012. I'll likely visit again. The Westons put on a great workshop. Wildcat Hill is a great location for shooting. They get good models and Kim & Gina are a pleasure. I shot many rolls of medium format both times. We did have one 4x5 shooter the second time I attended. Most folks are going to be shooting digital, but film is very much welcomed. My experience is that medium format is the right choice for film, based on the flow of the workshop and the space available. Generally the workshop breaks into 3 groups each day. 1 model to 2 or 3 photogs in three locations. Studio, House & Bodie Room. Rotate through these three locations during the day. Though there are many opportunities to find other locations on the property. You get two full days of shooting with three different models. You visit a storied location. They feed you on Saturday night and usually have a visiting artists give a talk. It's an amazing deal.