Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Re: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Apologies upfront, but I am going to be that guy and say that you get what you pay for. Yes it’s cheap and a good introduction to LF for someone starting up, but soon you realize that you should have saved up for a better, higher quality product.
    I can say that because I have one and outgrow it quickly.
    Some say they get it because it’s very light, but honestly compared to other wood field cameras the difference is like a lens or a couple of holders more or less.

Ordered an intrepid 4x5 mark4 today
    let'wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Apologies upfront, but I am going to be that guy and say that you get what you pay for.
    Nay.

250 £ is a lot of money. even if a Technika costs 9000 $.

But building cameras is not rocket science.

E.g. we don't need a rotating back. Less is more.

Using proper materials doesn't cost that much. Using knurled screws and other components made of metal (instead of 3D printed plastic) is not that expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to avoid promises of delivery, to communicate or to charge the rest of the money not before delivery etc. This would reduce lead times and make waiting more sufferable.

I can't imagine that a modular bellows that is interchangeable, at least with some screws, could be expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to standardize the dimensions of the bellows so that we could change it ourselves. Or the dimensions and the mount of the back, so that we could use our old Sinar or Cambo backs with the camera.

All in all, it is not expensive to build something that lasts a few years. Simplicity and durability is not expensive.

Imho, the Intrepid is made for obsolescence. Every year a new model. After five years you have spent what you normally pay for a pre-owned Technika or a new Chamonix etc. Photographing with Intrepids during five years is expensive.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    2019 - still the same...
    Außer Spesen nichts gewesen.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Außer Spesen nichts gewesen.
    Except expenses have been nothing
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Except expenses have been nothing
    No joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Nay.

250 £ is a lot of money. even if a Technika costs 9000 $.

But building cameras is not rocket science.

E.g. we don't need a rotating back. Less is more.

Using proper materials doesn't cost that much. Using knurled screws and other components made of metal (instead of 3D printed plastic) is not that expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to avoid promises of delivery, to communicate or to charge the rest of the money not before delivery etc. This would reduce lead times and make waiting more sufferable.

I can't imagine that a modular bellows that is interchangeable, at least with some screws, could be expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to standardize the dimensions of the bellows so that we could change it ourselves. Or the dimensions and the mount of the back, so that we could use our old Sinar or Cambo backs with the camera.

All in all, it is not expensive to build something that lasts a few years. Simplicity and durability is not expensive.

Imho, the Intrepid is made for obsolescence. Every year a new model. After five years you have spent what you normally pay for a pre-owned Technika or a new Chamonix etc. Photographing with Intrepids during five years is expensive.

Regards
    I don’t disagree. What I meant is that it’s role is to provide a low-barrier entry into LF for new users that are really unsure whether they’ll use it or stick to this. For those that never end up really getting into it and growing or just use it really in a blue moon with no pretensions of upgrading, it might be cheap. I agree they seem to follow the Apple model with change after change. I am honestly surprised they can survive when it takes so long to get the item and with little support/communication with their clients, and also given that it’s not made for the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    What I meant is that it’s role is to provide a low-barrier entry into LF for new users that are really unsure whether they’ll use it or stick to this. [...] I am honestly surprised they can survive when it takes so long to get the item and with little support/communication with their clients, and also given that it’s not made for the long run.
    I agree completely, and of course it is very good that there is and remains an existent market for sheet films etc.

I hereby solemnly declare: if there is somebody reading these words and interested in trying out large format: there are a lot of pre-owned Koronas, FEDs, Nagaokas, Tachiharas, Istons, Wistas, Toyos, Cambos, Calumets, Linhofs, Sinars, Graflexes, Proximas, Standards 4x5 ... - for under 500 $ out there for anyone who needs one, for everybody who wants to resell his camera without financial loss and for all who want to keep these cameras the next 20 years without buying anything else.

Concerning your surprise: their customer relation management is lousy, obviously, but: apparently there is quite a lot of people - a sufficient mass - out there that is interested in the large format process.

Tschau zäme

I recently saw a large number of LF images posted by Intrepid from users of their cameras. None of them had I seen here, on other forums, on Facebook groups, or elsewhere. I don't doubt that Intrepid's communication and delivery times could be improved, but it seems like they have the classic problem of a "silent majority" being perfectly happy with the camera and using it just fine, while the vocal minority complain about the (justified) problems, giving a skewed view of the number of issues in manufacture.

So I could be wrong, but it seems there's a huge number of happy Intrepid users. I almost bought one again recently when I saw a screaming deal on a used camera, but I hesitated and it was gone. If I hadn't already owned a Chamonix for years before the Intrepid appeared, I would probably have bought one. So I have no direct experience, but I sure am seeing a lot of fine photos made with the Intrepid both from well-established LF photographers and not.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    So I could be wrong, but it seems there's a huge number of happy Intrepid users. I almost bought one again recently when I saw a screaming deal on a used camera, but I hesitated and it was gone. If I hadn't already owned a Chamonix for years before the Intrepid appeared, I would probably have bought one. So I have no direct experience, but I sure am seeing a lot of fine photos made with the Intrepid both from well-established LF photographers and not.
    Well said, Bryan. I wouldn't presume to say I make fine photos with my Intrepid 8x10 Mk1, but it's perfectly fine camera for the money. The only thing I wish was different on my version of the 8x10 is the front standard struts; they are tapered from bottom to top making it impossible to simply line up the front standard for perfect vertical positioning. I use a small plastic triangle to ensure the front standard is square with the base. Minor nit-pick. This camera does EXACTLY what I wanted from it...that is, being in my late 60's it allows me to still hike some pretty fair distances from the car. The camera, 3 lenses, and dark cloth don't weigh as much as my 8x10 Deardorff alone!