Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone actively using the Intrepid Enlarger Kit? Please share your experience.

Is anyone actively using the Intrepid Enlarger Kit? Please share your experience.

Hello,

I have a bathroom the size of a matchbox. I would like to make 8x10 enlargements out of 4x5 negatives, and the Intrepid Enlarger Kit seems like a decent enough option. However, I cannot find a longterm user review. I did an advanced search on the forum, and that turned up empty. Please share your experiences with using this product! I might be interested in buying one if the feedback is positive.

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Re: Is anyone actively using the Intrepid Enlarger Kit? Please share your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Hello,

I have a bathroom the size of a matchbox. I would like to make 8x10 enlargements out of 4x5 negatives, and the Intrepid Enlarger Kit seems like a decent enough option. However, I cannot find a longterm user review. I did an advanced search on the forum, and that turned up empty. Please share your experiences with using this product! I might be interested in buying one if the feedback is positive.
    Hardly long term as i made just one print! It is my first ever darkroom print, and serves as my profile photo here. Never used any enlarger before or since (more to come), so consider that.

I took care to align it with the Versalab laser tool. Worked great, factoring in my limited perspective and lack of comparison to anything else. Used my 150mm taking lens. Everything about enlarging was new to me, so took me some time. However, even i did it rather easily. So, for ease of use, even for a newbie, great!

That said, if i then use my camera as a camera again, i need to realign it as an enlarger. I can see where that could be a hassle. But that all depends on your circumstances/needs.

Fit and finish is very good. Mix of laminated wood and 3-D printed components. Not highly finished metal, but then neither did i expect that. The timer, laminated wood also, is simple, yet elegant. I am not so familiar with illumination details--available online--but it worked great for me.

Instructions are limited to the online video tutorials. As a beginner, i could have used more detail, but that was easily available elsewhere.

For its intended use, i think it is excellent at good value. Again, particulars of how you would use it are the key factors.

Best!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re: Is anyone actively using the Intrepid Enlarger Kit? Please share your experience.

Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the states, I think you'd do much better buying a used 4x5 enlarger. No need to align every time you want to use it. They're pretty reasonable used. Check auctions and Craig's list. I would recommend an LPL VCCE enlarger, but it may be harder to find. I gave away 3 used DeVeres last year and threw one away! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Hardly long term as i made just one print! It is my first ever darkroom print, and serves as my profile photo here. Never used any enlarger before or since (more to come), so consider that.
    I took care to align it with the Versalab laser tool. Worked great, factoring in my limited perspective and lack of comparison to anything else. Used my 150mm taking lens. Everything about enlarging was new to me, so took me some time. However, even i did it rather easily. So, for ease of use, even for a newbie, great!
    That said, if i then use my camera as a camera again, i need to realign it as an enlarger. I can see where that could be a hassle. But that all depends on your circumstances/needs.
    Fit and finish is very good. Mix of laminated wood and 3-D printed components. Not highly finished metal, but then neither did i expect that. The timer, laminated wood also, is simple, yet elegant. I am not so familiar with illumination details--available online--but it worked great for me.
    Instructions are limited to the online video tutorials. As a beginner, i could have used more detail, but that was easily available elsewhere.
    For its intended use, i think it is excellent at good value. Again, particulars of how you would use it are the key factors.
    Best!
    Thank you for that information about the Versalab laser tool. I may budget some savings towards that for Christmas. I bought a Graflarger today instead of the Intrepid enlarger because it is affordable, and I do not have to wait ten weeks or longer. I will keep the Intrepid in mind if this does not work well. I wish more Graflargers were available for sale because the one I bought looks like it is in rough condition (judging by the pictures). Your break down was nice to read, though. Please consider making a post or a video about the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the states, I think you'd do much better buying a used 4x5 enlarger. No need to align every time you want to use it. They're pretty reasonable used. Check auctions and Craig's list. I would recommend an LPL VCCE enlarger, but it may be harder to find. I gave away 3 used DeVeres last year and threw one away! Good luck

Unfortunately, the maximum dimensions that my bathroom can support for a fully extended enlarger/enlarger column are height = 49", baseboard width = 30", baseboard length from the wall to standing human = 23". I do not know of a 4x5 enlarger that can fit that criteria. Please let me know if you happen to know of one! I will create a dedicated darkroom with a nice color 4x5 enlarger once I have enough money to buy a home. Do not hold your breath.

Thank you for that information about the Versalab laser tool. I may budget some savings towards that for Christmas. I bought a Graflarger today instead of the Intrepid enlarger because it is affordable, and I do not have to wait ten weeks or longer. I will keep the Intrepid in mind if this does not work well. I wish more Graflargers were available for sale because the one I bought looks like it is in rough condition (judging by the pictures). Your break down was nice to read, though. Please consider making a post or a video about the product.

Unfortunately, the maximum dimensions that my bathroom can support for a fully extended enlarger/enlarger column are height = 49", baseboard width = 30", baseboard length from the wall to standing human = 23". I do not know of a 4x5 enlarger that can fit that criteria. Please let me know if you happen to know of one! I will create a dedicated darkroom with a nice color 4x5 enlarger once I have enough money to buy a home. Do not hold your breath.
    While i dig the Intrepid enlarger for what it is, i know I'll eventually get a regular enlarger for reason i stated: to have a permanent setup. When that occurs I'll be selling my Intrepid enlarger.

And, meanwhile, the Versalab is slick.

While i dig the Intrepid enlarger for what it is, i know I'll eventually get a regular enlarger for reason i stated: to have a permanent setup. When that occurs I'll be selling my Intrepid enlarger.

And, meanwhile, the Versalab is slick.

It might be slick but your setup will change alignment every time you adjust the height, focus and, as you noted, remount the camera. Since you are not using an enlarging lens or a glass carrier it may not matter.

Best!

Hello again! It has been a few years. How have you liked the Intrepid 4x5 enlarger? What were the cons over the long term? Did you switch to a standard enlarger yet?

I ended up snatching a Beseler 45mxii for free, and sold the Intrepid. I have the room so easier to keep it set up permanently. Intrepid is great if you have space or other constraints. It's well-made. Otherwise, simpler and easier if you can snag a standard enlarger.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I ended up snatching a Beseler 45mxii for free, and sold the Intrepid. I have the room so easier to keep it set up permanently. Intrepid is great if you have space or other constraints. It's well-made. Otherwise, simpler and easier if you can snag a standard enlarger.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Okay, thanks. That's a sweet deal you got on the Beseler!

Update:

I bought two Graflargers and both arrived broken so I never did end up printing 4x5 enlargements. I'm doing another round of searches for long term reviews of the Intrepid enlarger.