Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peace Vans!

Drew Wiley

Re: Peace Vans!

Had a long-term cabinet shop customer who remained in hippie attire his whole life. He was an exceptionally tall thin guy who piled his hair way up even higher, and sometimes added a peaked cap to that, cumulatively about seven and a half feet tall. His was efficient at his work, and hired his son out of college as his business manager. His son showed up clean shaven with short hair, in a business blazer, even shiny shoes. After he left, his father lamented, "I don't know what I did wrong ... now he won't even smoke pot with me anymore". Every generation rebels.

(Shrek)

Electric or not, you couldn't pay me to drive one of those deathtraps. There are some modern conveniences I'm rather fond of. Like airbags and crumple zones and not dying horribly mangled and strewn across a road.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Yeah. Something should turn up affordable soon, Willie. I'm telling all those moth-eaten old hippies to move to North Dakota where the cost of living is lower, and they'll be welcome by everyone, tie-died VW bus curtains n' all (yuk, yuk).
    A saying up here you might tell them as you encourage their migration.

"40 below keeps the Riff Raff out".

https://open.spotify.com/track/0QK0x...wwu9UOEZ#login

Another wag put it this way.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about
    48 degrees North Latitude, 90% most of the world's social problems

evaporate."

Hard to run fast with 5 layers of clothing while holding a bank bag or a case of bud & a carton of cigs.

Hard to hold a handgun with wool mittens.

Hard to get a DUI when the car battery is dead.

Anyways, during the winter the riff-raffer's stay in warm climes thus reducing the crime stats by 80%.

AND if you don't have a 4x4 PU as many riff-raff types don't you will likely find yourself freeze dried in a road side ditch until a local finds your foozen carcuss.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I was a volunteer in the local Civil Defense unit as a teen...

One of the "Cold War" relics we had at our disposal was a old orange and blue VW van equipped as a first (or last) responder vehicle, complete with air raid siren, massive PA horns on the roof (with big tube PA amplifier), roof platform (for surveying devastation), multiple truck batteries, big heavy inverter for 110VAC, high-output generator (with large diesel tank), large heavy ham radio rig (with large "flyswatter" antenna on roof), small telephone switchboard, fire axes, chainsaws, and undersized engine...

Problem was with all this weight, it had a top speed of 27mph on a level surface, and even on the slightest hill, it would bog down until it started to roll backwards (at full throttle)... And dangerously top-heavy...

But as a 16 year old, could drive it around (without a license) and the cops would stare at me, but not pull me over...

I ask myself today if I wanted to own it as a collector, but my answer is NO!!! Belongs in a Cold War museum, but maybe a small scale metal model of it on the shelf... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Electric or not, you couldn't pay me to drive one of those deathtraps. There are some modern conveniences I'm rather fond of. Like airbags and crumple zones and not dying horribly mangled and strewn across a road.
    Front end impact usually ment someone flying through the windshield...

Steve K

They are very collectable. especially the Samba 23 window

All old cars are very dangerous and some new ones are too

Be a good driver

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Front end impact usually ment someone flying through the windshield...

Steve K
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    They are very collectable.
    Probably some 25+ years ago I had a 1971 Weekender. Was put up FS from a used car dealer in Western Massachusetts and came with boxes of spare parts. If I recall I paid less than 2K for it delivered to my driveway. Something like a 2180cc (or thereabouts) powered the Type II. Also came with the OEM engine. Plenty of pickup, but the drum brakes left a lot of stopping power to be desired. A cluster of auxiliary gauges let me know how the engine was running. Rust free having come out to New England from California. After several years an offer was made that I couldn't resist, and switched to driving a beautifully restored 1974 Beetle. As many others do, I now regret selling it. Another early 1970s one popped up FS in our town. Wasn't in as good of condition as my '71. Owner was looking for 30K plus for it. I passed but later heard that the seller found a buyer for that 30K plus.

Drew Wiley

Willie - one of my favorite movies is Fargo. She certainly managed to aim the shot well with her big mittens on. A little bit of creative fiction always helps.

There you go, Dr Drew

I hated that movie and still sorry I saw it, the violence

Another problem was the accent, which is the same as my youth and extended family, one was Sheriff asshole

I see many movies twice, like 'HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER' however I will never again view 'Fargo'

I used to drink with John McNaughton

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Willie - one of my favorite movies is Fargo. She certainly managed to aim the shot well with her big mittens on. A little bit of creative fiction always helps.
    Tin Can

I really want one of these. I’ved owned every type of vw van camper. Four of them. Loved them all and miss them. BTW I am not hippie but don’t mind their company. The last one I sold for $10,000. Thought I did alright but now I think othrwise.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?