Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma 5x7 vs 4x5 dimensions?

Sinar Norma 5x7 vs 4x5 dimensions?

I was wondering if anyone could provide a rough estimate of the dimensions of a Sinar Norma 5x7 with tapered bellows compared to a 4x5 Norma with its standard, straight bellows? (The 5x7 with a reducing back would of course be the more versatile system, but there's only so many cubes available in my pack!)

Any insights appreciated....

Re: Sinar Norma 5x7 vs 4x5 dimensions?

5x7 back is about 11"x11.5" (WxH - height from top of rail)
    4x5 back is about 9.5" x 9.5"

They both use the same front standard

jeff

Excellent, very useful information--thanks!

4x5 to 5x7 increase in camera size is not much for almost twice as much film area.

Here are the 4x5 & 5x7 film backs end to end on the same rail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar Norma 4x5 & 5x7 ends.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	188940

Side view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar Norma 4x5 & 5x7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	188941

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    4x5 to 5x7 increase in camera size is not much for almost twice as much film area.
    Thanks, Bernice--the pictures are very helpful...and you're right, it's that "bang for your buck" question that I was trying to get a handle on. (Of course, that's a slippery slope that can lead a person to trying to carry way too much weight up the hill!)

Difference in size-weight between a 4x5 Norma -vs- 5x7 Norma is not much, less than a pound and a few inches larger at the very most. Add to this, many lenses that work for 4x5 work on 5x7. Film holders are not much larger than 4x5 making the overall system not much larger than 4x5 for nearly twice the film area and fewer problems compared to 8x10. Then there are all the perks of the Sinar system from Sinar shutter to compatibility from Norma to P2 and more. It is truly a camera system that can be configure to image making needs of many, many, many challenges and needs.

Think:

4x5 = Baby Bear.

5x7 = Mama Bear.

8x10 = Papa Bear.

Mama bear was "just right"

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Thanks, Bernice--the pictures are very helpful...and you're right, it's that "bang for your buck" question that I was trying to get a handle on. (Of course, that's a slippery slope that can lead a person to trying to carry way too much weight up the hill!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    5x7 = Mama Bear.
    And of course a sturdy Sinar extension rail would come in handy should I have occasion to whack one on the nose--our black bears literally fall out of trees on you down here in the Smokies.

At any rate, I'm just getting started in the LF world but I'm starting to appreciate the need of having at least one "precision" system--Sinar certainly seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the input!

When thinking about 5x7, if you plan to print the negatives you may need a 5x7 enlarger (or contact print them). 5x7 enlargers are out there but not nearly as easy to find as 4x5.

Also, this link to Norma Instruction Manual shows how to fold one up for transport; it can save a lot of "cubes" in the backpack. Look at Fig. 17 on p.12 and folding instructions on p.13.

Jerry-- great link, thanks! Definitely if the camera would be staying in the pack while I was traversing from point A to B, that would solve a lot of problems.

Otherwise, I did have a couple of other questions after falling into the Sinar rabbit hole this afternoon:

1.) Using the standard bellows (straight for the 4x5, tapered for the 5x7) what is the shortest focal length lens you can use and still have access to reasonable movements?

2.) Was there ever a tapered "standard" bellows for the 4x5 Norma? The reason I ask is that an American vendor that has a presence on the auction site has what looks to be a Norma in good shape, but with tapered rather than straight bellows.

At any rate, regarding 5x7--it might be the tail wagging the dog here, but in my case 5x7 definitely would push me into a hybrid workflow. Since I'm rather in the minority I think in that I don't really like the native format for landscapes (but love it for closer views) I wouldn't mind that too much.

Drew Wiley

Alas, although I coveted a 5X7 Norma, I stuck to 4x5 over the portability issue. I like to pull em right out of the pack nearly ready to use, and plop em right atop the Ries tripods. With 5x7, I'd have to either reconfigure it or get a custom pack built for my pack frames. But my 8x10 folder fits nicely in my same packs, so I wanted to standardize.