Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howtek 8000HiResolvebpaid for

Re: Howtek 8000HiResolvebpaid for

So I started learning the scanner and DPL software. I must say it does very well indeed. I scanned a difficult chrome and It was impressive.

One thing though is the software doesn't provide a lot of film types and it is a bit tricky to get uninverted negatives..

Pretty much like Vuescan and Epson V850. Just need to learn about the settings like aperture, etc. Haven't figured out how to adjust focus either yet. Instructions with software doesn't seem to address it.

Wet mounting is easy, but more difficult than when using Epson V850 and Betterscanning adjustable holder. Took me lije three tries first time. Second session I didn't get taped good enough, but averted disaster.

For 1980s/1990s technology it is quite impressive. I am gonna work on the two chromes I scanned tonight and will post up yhe V850 versions as well.

Overall, very much impressed with scanner.

Looking forward to the results and the comparison to the V850!!

Learned about CMS files and how to create them tonight. Pretty being able to teach the scanner about the film you use and about how you shoot. I like the fact that it is applied as a "hardware" setting pre software as it creates a raw linear file that is well defined. You can also create a pure raw linear file as well. No expansion of the histogram which is good too. You just have to remember to have all auto adj settings off ir you will muck up the file for use with programs such as Colorneg.

Or after you create your cms file and perform the detail scan and make final adjustments, you can do hires scan and touch up in PS or your favorite program.

This device is rather quite amazing. Easy to use and easier to muck up your image.

Getting ready to start characterizing my bw film after I finish testing to find optimum EI.

First scan, Fuji Film Provia100F, RDPIII. Used pretty much the auto settings, did a curves adjustment. Could be much better I think. Now that I know how to "teach" the scanner how to scan a particular film as a hardware adjustment (gives an image with a linear gamma curve) by creating CMS files, I will go back and rescan this and compare to an image from same day on Portra160.

This is not meant for what scanner is better argument. I will compare my own V850 scans to their counter parts on the Howtek. I'm just happy it is not as hard as some make it out to be.

Keep it coming Steven!

I find it interesting

Yet I now see any color image as ...

Now back to my B&W movies
    Tin Can

Peter

Well that's pretty spectacular!
    I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Nice shot Steve. I think it's over sharpened however. It also seems like you uprezed it from a lower scanning resolution.

You might have the Radius or Detail sliders too high in the sharpening section.