Page 84 of 654 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184584 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

LC29 at 1:29, have lengthened the dev time to 4mins for 50ISO and 8mins for 400ISO With great results, the best at 50 i think. I ran out of 400 iso exposures to test the plane at 8mins, reshooting today or tomorrow. The above shot is majorly underdeveloped when seen next to the 4min dev shot

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Bob, ancient photography manuals described a developer used for too contrasty (described as "over-timed") exposures. The nearest box develeper that I know of that is basically a hydrochinon only developer is Dectol. Dectol fell out of favor for this use when everyone went to pan film in the late 1950's. Why? You about can't develope pan film by inspection. But x-ray film is all more or less ortho film. The green x-ray film is the most like Plenachrome or verichrome. I use Dectol anywhere from 12-1 to 24-1 for 5 to 8 minutes. 5-8 minutes gives enough time to get the contrast you want without shooting right on by. If you have never used Dectol, it is first mixed with warm water, and then water added for a stock 2-1 mix. This is for paper. Take the stock mix and dilute it as above (12-1 or 24-1) as a one shot developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmercier View Post
    I bought a box of Fuji HR-U online. It took 6 or 8 tries to nail down the exposure and development but
    I think this is getting close. I rate it at 100iso and it's pretty consistent but too contrasty, so this has
    a 1 stop pull. 6min in HC-110 dilution H.

Attachment 82171

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350797536.532966.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	82325

Fuji RX-U
    ISO 50
    EXP 5s
    f/8.0
    Schneider 210mm Symmar-S
    LC29 @ 1:29 20DegC for 4mins

I just put 24 sheets of 14x17 x-ray film into the fixer. No image at all.

(I use it as carbon tissue support material)

I have been in contact with foma in norway, he is goingto check the next time he is ordering film, and every other place over here just have european size, type 18x24 and so on. And have tried contacting xray sellers in the US, and noone have thus far been interested in shipping overseas. So I have to ask, could anyone do me a favor ?
    Order some xray film in the US, and ship them to me ? I will of course pay for all shipping and film, and some extra for the help. Please contact me if anyone is willing, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by taulen View Post
    I have been in contact with foma in norway, he is goingto check the next time he is ordering film, and every other place over here just have european size, type 18x24 and so on. And have tried contacting xray sellers in the US, and noone have thus far been interested in shipping overseas. So I have to ask, could anyone do me a favor ?
    Order some xray film in the US, and ship them to me ? I will of course pay for all shipping and film, and some extra for the help. Please contact me if anyone is willing, thanks.
    Are you familiar with the troubles and risks of shipping? i.e. the film being X-rayed in transit by the freight forwarder or operator?

I can source Fuji X-Ray film for cheap (I know the NZ distributor personally), but the additional cost and risk of freighting it so far may not be cost effective.

As far as I have read that wont be a problem, of course the shipping costs add up, but in total in will still be alot cheaper. In norway the only "affordable" option is fomapan, everything else have to be ordered elsewhere anyway, so the shipping is something we have to factor in in any case. Xray film isnt anymore exposed to xray-scanning then anyother films, and I have never had a problem when having had film shipped from overseas.

Are you fussy about the size/type? I have a spare box of 100 sheets 28x30cm Fuji RX-U. Exposes pretty nice around 50ish ISO. I pick up samples or nearly expired stuff mostly random.

Yeah, thats the thing. I want 8x10 and 11x14, the stuff that fits the regular holders, no needing to cut stuff down or use "rare" holders. 28x30, 18x24 and all these sizes I can order myself, found a source in france that is willing to ship those sizes, but I would like to have the "correct" sizes, at least now in the beginning of trying xray films.
    Type I dont really care about, I think, or should I ? =)
    Thank you for trying to help out.

You can't go to one of the U.S. sellers, and order via e-mail? I thought the internet highway solved all of these problems. If you google up x-ray film, there's usually a half a dozen sellers trying to get into your hip-pocket.