Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: best low-cost field 4x5 for LF newbie?

Re: best low-cost field 4x5 for LF newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Only if it's the right camera for the application. I'd be losing money on that package, so I hope he doesn't buy it.

My point is that wasting money on overpriced nameplates will not in any way improve the OP's photography.
    Buying a basic monorail or folder and putting the extra money into additional/better lenses will make much more of a difference.

It's a question of whether he wants to brag to friends in the pub about how much he spent on a camera,
    or if he wants to go out and take good pictures.

The light can't read the name on the front of the camera body.

- Leigh
    It's just an awesome, awesome camera. Have you used one? Adjustments are super thought out, everything works perfectly. My complaint about the bubble levels notwithstanding, it's an absolute pleasure to use. I had a Deardorff which paled in comparison with this camera. Not exactly cheap but not insanely expensive either.

A camera that inspires you to use it is a camera worth having.

hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    The problem I'd have in recommending a field camera as a first LF camera is that these only allow ground glass focusing off a tripod once the camera has been set up, unfolded, zero'd out, etc. It's not a particularly intuitive process, as many cameras particularly the wood folders don't all zero out with precision.
    A metal folder has the flexibility of being able to be used similarly, but since most have infinity stops and will zero out simply by unfolding and setting them up, it may also be used as on a tripod and ready to shoot in 30 seconds, or even hand-held and ready to shoot in mere moments (if a rangefinder is mounted).
    A Super Graphic could be a fine choice for a first camera, but because it doesn't have rack focusing for wide angle lenses, I like the Meridian 45B better myself. Used, either camera can be found for perhaps $250-400 on eBay.
    That's very interesting! Sounds very convenient, and a good price. I hadn't thought about setting up quickly, I rather assumed that large format photography was slow and deliberate and always rewarded patience. I'll seek out the Meridian and see what's up.

hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    A camera that inspires you to use it is a camera worth having.
    Thanks! I agree. I haven't found big, heavy, awkward monorails to be inspiring at all - it sounds an awful lot like work, and we can't have that in our hobby, can we? ;-) The Toho seems to be the exception, at least for weight, and it has a spot on my short list.

I wasn't insulting you or anyone. I make the same recommendation to anyone looking to get started in any format:

Buy a good used camera from a reputable manufacturer. Get used to the format. Learn the functions, strengths, and weaknesses
    of the various features and accessories as they relate to your particular subjects, shooting methods, and goals.

Then you can make an informed decision about which features you want and which models will provide them.

Dropping a pile of money on a camera just because it's expensive is a waste of money.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

hopeful

Just search for Chamonix (no quotes). I got 19 hits.
    Thanks for the correction, odd that "45" and "4x5" don't help the search.

hopeful

I wasn't insulting you or anyone. I make the same recommendation to anyone looking to get started in any format:

Buy a good used camera from a reputable manufacturer. Get used to the format. Learn the functions, strengths, and weaknesses
    of the various features and accessories as they relate to your particular subjects, shooting methods, and goals.

Then you can make an informed decision about which features you want and which models will provide them.

Dropping a pile of money on a camera just because it's expensive is a waste of money.

- Leigh
    OK, cool. My mistake. It seemed like this:

If you're really determined to throw your money away, this is a good way to do it.
    ... was saying I'm trying to throw my money away, which is obviously not true. I'm here practically begging for advice to find a decent camera (for hiking) at a low price. I'm not interested in the shiniest nameplate, and I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone. I'm a pretty crappy photographer, actually, and I'm just trying to please myself and create some images I'm proud of. Nothing more.

That was the generic universal all-encompassing 'you', not the personal second-person 'you'.

As you (personal you) said here and in the thread title, you're looking for a decent camera "at a low price".
    I'm trying to steer you away from the brand-bunnies toward more practical, useful, and economical options.
    If the effort failed, you have my apologies.

- Leigh

hopeful

OK, here's my short list so far.

Anba Ikeda Wood View - light, low price, don't know much else about it.

Toho Shimo FC-45X - light, sturdy & well built (for it's size), affordable, very nice bellows depth, but still a bit awkward for hiking and hard to find.

Shen Hao PTB45 - light, inexpensive, but odd movements

Chamonix 045n-2 - light, ground glass protector, universal bellows, accepts rollfilm backs, but most expensive of the bunch

Graflex Super Graphic - least expensive, simple, but hard to find in good shape and is heaviest of the bunch

I'm leaning toward the Chamonix based on the feature set, with the Toho being impossible to ignore. I want to learn more about that one, and I wish they were easier to find.

I'm going to let this thread sit for a while and see what I find in the classifieds here after my 30-day "newbie" period is over. THANK YOU ALL for your advice and opinions. I'm doing my best to absorb it all and consider all opinions, 'cause I don't know squat about large format photography ... yet.

hopeful

That was the generic universal all-encompassing 'you', not the personal second-person 'you'.

As you (personal you) said here and in the thread title, you're looking for a decent camera "at a low price".
    I'm trying to steer you away from the brand-bunnies toward more practical, useful, and economical options.
    If the effort failed, you have my apologies.

- Leigh
    No sweat.

You might want to take a look at the Large Format offerings at KEH www.keh.com
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned them. They have the broadest selection by far, with fair prices and conservative grading.

Even if you don't buy anything from them, you (personal) can get a good idea of available products and prices on the used market.

I've bought a whole bunch of stuff, mostly LF, from them and can highly recommend them as a vendor.
    Excellent business ethics and practices, with a 14-day unconditional return policy.

- Leigh