Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to purchase large paper to print on

Re: Where to purchase large paper to print on

My comfort level is 30 x 40 inch murals off film up to 11x14 inches. It is possible only because we have spent years modifying our working space to maximize ease of paper handling.
    This did not come cheap, we scroll large paper murals 30 inch by 12 feet every two weeks here ,This paper is exposed on the lambda and the rip unit places the images and we found that 9-12 feet works well and then after the prints are fixed we cut them down to their individual sizes, and I have 7 monster trays to make my 30 x 40's flat.

Space, good glass, aligned enlarger, good sinks, good trays, good water supply and drainage, good disposal, and then a whole shitload of chemicals are required to make prints that shine.

A young man in British Columbia has built the largest silver gelatin darkroom that I am aware of in the world.. His goal is to make 50 inch by 84 inch silver gelatin , gold tone murals from 8x10 and 11x14 semi stand PYro cat negs.
    When he is ready to pound his chest I am sure he will announce, His darkroom is in the last stages of completion, I am in complete awe of this young man and if he is any indication of the young photographers of today, then I am happy.
    He has offered me his space to make the monster prints and I will take him up on his offer.

Thanks for all of your replies everyone, as far as roll paper goes, that looks like it will be my route for now. I apologize for not clearly communicating my experience a little more, I would consider myself pretty experienced for 35mm and digital work. I still use a darkroom a lot but really was starting to get frustrated at the noticeable grain and errors that came along with printing large (16x20) for 35mm. I really wanted a more in depth (and rewarding) experience, so large format seemed like the way to go. As far as the debate for an assistant goes, since I don't do this professionally or anything I will most likely have a friend help me out.

Thanks again,
    Evan

You absolutely do not need an assistant to make murals.
    Quote Originally Posted by superbowl2265 View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies everyone, as far as roll paper goes, that looks like it will be my route for now. I apologize for not clearly communicating my experience a little more, I would consider myself pretty experienced for 35mm and digital work. I still use a darkroom a lot but really was starting to get frustrated at the noticeable grain and errors that came along with printing large (16x20) for 35mm. I really wanted a more in depth (and rewarding) experience, so large format seemed like the way to go. As far as the debate for an assistant goes, since I don't do this professionally or anything I will most likely have a friend help me out.

Thanks again,
    Evan

One quick question about drying that I have, when I would print 35mm I always would squeegee the print after it had been through the wash, and then would put it on a screen to dry. For something this large would it be ok to just hang it vertically when it's still wet? I know someone earlier mentioned a hairdryer, but would that be necessary? Couldn't you potentially ruin the paper?

Here's a recent long thread on addressing that question:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...E-fibre-prints

I squeegee large prints and I place face down, laying face up without squegee is flirting with huge whoopass.
    I print murals every month and have been doing so for over 15 years I have seen the problems firsthand and am not guessing here or imagining what happens with large murals.

One quick question about drying that I have, when I would print 35mm I always would squeegee the print after it had been through the wash, and then would put it on a screen to dry. For something this large would it be ok to just hang it vertically when it's still wet? I know someone earlier mentioned a hairdryer, but would that be necessary? Couldn't you potentially ruin the paper?

...I know someone earlier mentioned a hairdryer, but would that be necessary? Couldn't you potentially ruin the paper?
    We use the hair dryer on RC prints -- never a problem (and this is with students dong it -- and they are good at creating 'problems'!)

FB paper might have an issue with uneven drying.

"You absolutely do not need an assistant to make murals."

But it sure does help!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"