Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust Travelwide - still alive?

Wanderlust Travelwide - still alive?

I only found out, today, quite by chance, about the Wanderlust Travelwide camera, and was intrigued. It seems like a great idea, but it also seems like dead one. I mean, it is as if the company had ceased to exist. Is this correct? What happened?

Re: Wanderlust Travelwide - still alive?

I know most of the part designs for the Travelwide are available on Thingiverse, if you have access to 3D printing.

You might want to check out the Chroma Snapshot as well. Chroma seems a little more active.

Yes it's dead due to the complaining about the camera's production process and (reasonable) delays back when it was Kickstarted, causing burnout and distaste of the community by the creators.

Sadly mine was sent off to a friendly person to mod and he has disappeared. It was a good camera. Would love to find another one.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Mine still works fine
    Tin Can

A suitable replacement is being made my Chroma, called the Snapshot. It looks to be a more complex but superior design.

I think the creators were less put off by the community as by the process of selling a popular 'anything' and having to deal with the resulting madness. They had problems with production, massive delays, then just shipping them worldwide! What a headache.

There was a design flaw they should have found in testing

I picked mine up from their factory, took one look and took it apart

I saw the design flaw straightaway

I put it right back together and have been very gentle with it since, it is a useful camera I am glad to have

I also modified mine before using, with a different easy fix

I have joined far worse KS and got nothing usable

Got one last KS coming, then I am done with KS

Unless I get a plan....
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    There was a design flaw they should have found in testing

I picked mine up from their factory, took one look and took it apart

I saw the design flaw straightaway

I put it right back together and have been very gentle with it since, it is a useful camera I am glad to have

I also modified mine before using, with a different easy fix
    You saw a design flaw and fixed it (easily), but you are telling us neither what the flaw was nor how you fixed it. Sorry; I don't get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    A suitable replacement is being made my Chroma, called the Snapshot. It looks to be a more complex but superior design.
    There seem to be more:

https://mercurycamera.com/

https://www.maleficwares.com/

https://film.kolve.org/darkroomdiy/w...endly-cameras/

Mercury Camera is odd in that I can't see any information on the company. Malefic is from Italy, Europe. Will Travel, a DIY alternative, is from Norway, Europe.

The method of mounting the "lens board" (for want of a better word) to the camera body is weak. I managed to break mine when jamming it in tightly when packing other gear. Fixed it fine with epoxy. There is a 30 page thread here on one of the forums that span a couple of years on dealing with that issue.

At the time of the Kickstarter project, you could not beat the concept at the price; first $99, ten $150, I think. The 90mm f/ 6.8 Angulon registers well on the helical mount. I like it. There is a 30 page thread here on one of the forums that span a couple of years on dealing with that issue.

These cameras do come up on e-Bay once in a while. I may put mine up on there one of these days.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Please note, I never said I fixed the flaw, I recognized it as a big problem

Nobody has made a 'FIX' as there is no room inside the box

and if you search this Forum you will find a lot of details and info on the camera many of us obtained, not bought, through KS, as our reward...

MY MODIFICATION was a simple hole to allow a cable release to be used handheld, an obvious omission, not structural

I also made a GG panel with DIY ground glass to make focus easier, then I calibrated the focus for fixed distances, and no longer need any GG

I primarily use it with flashbulbs at estimated 5' in dark drinking establishments aka, Pubs

Here is one shot, pun intended, of old friends, made with Travelwide and one flashbulb, yielding a glimpse of my past

1-1-Green What by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nelari View Post
    You saw a design flaw and fixed it (easily), but you are telling us neither what the flaw was nor how you fixed it. Sorry; I don't get your point.
    Tin Can