Thread: finding thumb screws and odd screws

finding thumb screws and odd screws

here's a tip for hard to find screws - try the lamp repair section. I found 8-32 x 1/4 thumb screws which fit my old federal tin can enlarger that hold the lens board in place.

I also found some other odd size flat head screws in the hard to find items in hardware which fit in screw holes long missing. 6-32x 3/8.

I am on the hunt now for some tiny screws for the calumet metal 4x5 to restore it to perfect condition.

Re: finding thumb screws and odd screws

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    here's a tip for hard to find screws - try the lamp repair section. I found 8-32 x 1/4 thumb screws which fit my old federal tin can enlarger that hold the lens board in place.
    Try Ace Hardware. There are three in your area. Usually they have a great fastener section.

I weld heads or knobs on cut pieces of threaded rod.

Brazing or silver solder may work for lesser torques, tiny screws.

McMaster Carr has vast resources and no order is too small for them! Buy a box of 100 tiny screws for a couple bucks, in brass, stainless or plain.

Old hardware stores are alway a great source if you can find one. I slam on the brakes when I spot one. My local Ace Hardware just shut down for more condos, it had almost everything. They even cut 1/4" glass for me.
    Tin Can

Here's a hint: if the store only has items bagged or packaged, and UPCed, then turn around and find another place. But a real hardware store, with those little partitioned boxes in slide out shelves, is a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Old hardware stores are alway a great source if you can find one. I slam on the brakes when I spot one. My local Ace Hardware just shut down for more condos, it had almost everything. They even cut 1/4" glass for me.
    In the Eighties an Ace went out of business and I wandered into the Sharon special fasteners section and offered them 10 cents to the dollar and they took it. I still have some left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    In the Eighties an Ace went out of business and I wandered into the Sharon special fasteners section and offered them 10 cents to the dollar and they took it. I still have some left over.
    I bought a lot of tools the same way.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    How true. San Diego Hardware was in Downtown San Diego for close to 90 years. They closed up and move to another location, but instead of having everything you might ever want they changed to a specialty hardware business. Too bad, I uwed to be able to find anything I wanted in that store. Thank God for McMaster Carr.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

I'm just going to echo what's already been said... First I drive to my local ACE Hardware store, if they don't have it, I order from McMaster-Carr.

The ACE store is sort of pricey, but I usually don't want to wait a few days for the hardware to arrive.

Or buy a mini lathe, figure it out and make all your own little parts.

Good luck with that.

Tin Can

There is no shame when a person does not have basic tools such as a drill-press, tap and dies, although any handy person should have a caliper and a thread gauge: they are inexpensive.

Imagine a situation in which a LF photographer lives in apartment or condo in a crammed city with spendy multi-storied buildings. I consider such a situation as similar as a trek west in the open claim era. What ya got, ya use. Never mind the time-line. Living under the financial duress of some areas is the same thing. (By chance and persistence I escaped such from downtown Chicago fifty years ago. Emphasis on luck.)

So... tolerance to our urban fellows whose aspirations are challenged by circumstances!
    --
    Jac in a rural paradise