Thread: Extension for 11x14 Century no. 1 camera, same as 8x10?

Extension for 11x14 Century no. 1 camera, same as 8x10?

Does anyone know if the tracks for a 11x14 Century no. 1 are the same as an 8x10 Century no. 1?

I have an 11x14 Century no. 1 camera complete with extension, but I would like another one, or possibly an entire track with all three sections. In the past with Burke and James cameras I have purchased junk 8x10s to scavenge parts for 11x14 cameras. I don't know how interchangeable or standardized the Century cameras were.

Thanks in advance.

ps: if you have what I am looking for, please do email or pm me...

Re: Extension for 11x14 Century no. 1 camera, same as 8x10?

Jason, semi-related question, do you know if the tripod blocks for the 8x10 B&J will work on the 11x14?

Hi Jeremy,

Yes indeed, the sliding tripod blocks and rails from a 8x10 B&J will fit an 11x14. However the tripod block from an 8x10 is not quite solid enough to hold the entire weight of the 11x14. The tripod block I sent you, as well as the grey extension are from an 8x10 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Yes indeed, the sliding tripod blocks and rails from a 8x10 B&J will fit an 11x14. However the tripod block from an 8x10 is not quite solid enough to hold the entire weight of the 11x14. The tripod block I sent you, as well as the grey extension are from an 8x10 camera.
    Oh, indeed they aren't strong enough, but I'm thinking 2 tripod blocks and the center tripod post should be strong enough. Just thinking through supporting the front standard with those big lenses until some extra cash for a Bogen long lens support crops up as I saw a steal on an 8x10 B&J tripod block locally.

Oh yeah, if you can get another you should jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Oh yeah, if you can get another you should jump on it.
    Yep, I'm using lighting stands under the back tripod block and a majestic tripod under the main body right now with a second lighting stand under the front standard. I drilled a small hole in a piece of plywood and just put the top of the lighting stand in that hole and this goes under the front standard. It's working well enough for what I'm doing right now, but what I'll be doing in the future needs a little more structure.

If no one knows the answer, perhaps someone could measure the rail of their 8x10 century no. 1 for me?

Please?

I'm planning to do the same thing, did you get a reply or find out whether the 10 x 8 rails will fit the 11 x 14 Century no. 1?

I don't know for sure with those models, but from my experience with similar, the 8x10 models are different from the 11x14 models---rails are not as thick...and for some reason the 11x14's have 2 grooves while the 8x10's have three (for tripod block apparently)....but all of these types LOOK the same but all turn out to be different upon measurement....always get measurements of what you're looking at---they all LOOK the same.

No, they are not the same. 11x14 and 8x10 have different track sizes and are not interchangeable.