Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: darkslide repair?

darkslide repair?

I tried searching for this, but these terms are apparently used too often....

So, anybody have a good, or even workable, method for repairing a cracked darkslide?

This material is the oft-seen composite stuff. My thought is to try super glue and then sand it down after it dries.

Re: darkslide repair?

And if that crack doesn't go back together absolutely in perfect sync, you will find yourself with a perfectly glued pin hole leak directly onto the film behind it. It might be better to go on ebay and search for replacements.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Just buy new one or make one. I tried to glue one together and it wasnt fun.

Even for 8x10 you can find them for like 25$... you will spend same money on glue

It depends on the crack, I've reparied a few successfully with Super Glue and they don't leak light but I took a lot of care. These repaired slides have been replaced since and are now spares.

Ian

It probably could be done. I don't know if it would be actually worth the time/effort/materials but hey, its a learning experience, right?
    Find a compatible, light proof compound that dries flexible, roughen the area for good adhesion and filler 'er up then polish it super smooth---900 grit then polishing compound maybe? I'd be concerned about roughness boogering the emulsion and damaging the velvets.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If it's just a crack and not a hole I've used that really thin silver foil tape that we used to use in school for masking slides. Not sure what it is called, but it is opaque and so thin that it doesn't obstruct the slide from moving in and out. You can tape both sides of the crack and it works well, but it doesn't help with structural integrity if that's your issue.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    It probably could be done. I don't know if it would be actually worth the time/effort/materials but hey, its a learning experience, right?
    Find a compatible, light proof compound that dries flexible, roughen the area for good adhesion and filler 'er up then polish it super smooth---900 grit then polishing compound maybe? I'd be concerned about roughness boogering the emulsion and damaging the velvets.
    I'd forgotten, I used non-chip Black Nail polish, I bent the slides slightly to get the Super glue into the cracks, I put some glue on a non porous surface and then used a pin to apply just enough, first though I'd rough up the edges of the cracks with the pin. The nail polish was used last to fill any crevices and then flattened off with #600 wet and dry. A bit of metal polish is enough to finish it off.

It's worth checking all your slides well every now and again as these crack can go unnoticed.

Ian

I have one that I repaired with testors black model enamel. I did a coat thinned down so it would wick into the crack and let that dry. Then I did a second coat unthinned so it would build up a tiny bit. Very fine sandpaper finished it off. There is a tiny bit more thickness on the area of the crack but it works with the light trap just fine.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    If it's just a crack and not a hole I've used that really thin silver foil tape that we used to use in school for masking slides. Not sure what it is called, but it is opaque and so thin that it doesn't obstruct the slide from moving in and out. You can tape both sides of the crack and it works well, but it doesn't help with structural integrity if that's your issue.

Jonathan
    Ditto for Jonathan's method.

Just plain ol' 'lectrical tape. It's just a crack.

What size? I have a stack of 5x7 dark slides, if that's what you're needing.