Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY darkroom sink

Re: DIY darkroom sink

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
    Sorry to ask, but what is the West system?
    Boat building epoxy. It’s a versatile system with different speed hardeners to control the working time depending on the ambient temperature. The are are various additives to thicken the epoxy.

https://www.westsystem.com/

Roger

...Wood is not the first material I would think about when building a sink....
    I once built an 11’ sink out of wood. I sealed the corners with silicone and then applied two coats of epoxy paint. Worked like a champ but HEAVY.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Thanks for the explanation:-)
    Best regards

Hans

Sorry to ask, but what is the West system?
    West System epoxies are sold in marine stores, or those selling to the boating trade. It is a 2 part system which flows like water when mixed but dries hard. It is guaranteed not to leak for 10 years when applied to the outside of a boat. .My sink was built in 1989 and is still going strong. O put one addtional coat on it in 2000.

lab black

+1 West Marine epoxy

https://www.westmarine.com/
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

West System is a very high grade of marine epoxy. I looked at West and decided to go with Rakka epoxy (over birch plywood) - pretty much the same thing and perfect for my needs...at a lower price.

Nice!!

What size of prints do you plan on making in this sink? I'm building my house and planning my darkroom. I'm curious about your sink.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    Nice!!

What size of prints do you plan on making in this sink? I'm building my house and planning my darkroom. I'm curious about your sink.
    I wanted something that had the option of going at least 16x20 and hopefully 24". I figured for the big prints when I'm ready I could build a form for a tray and cover it with wax paper then use fiberglass matt and the resin. Then smooth out the inside with more resin once I have the shape.

Will you have it on a set of legs, the Sawhorses or another platform? Have seen some good sinks put on desks or tables that are nice and solid. A friend's darkroom has his 12 foot sink on two surplus Government desks. The big, heavy metal type from Army surplus. Cost him $10 each and a few friends to help get them into his darkroom. Bonus is the storage space for chemicals and supplies they give him. He did cut some 2x4 pieces and trimmed for size so he got a slope from one end to the drain at the other. He has been using it now for more than 20 years and still going strong.

On top a wood tray similar to yours, padded for quiet and heat control for water bath use with trays.

Being a longer sink he plumbed in two spigots, one near each end.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2'x8' sink. 3/4" plywood painted with RUST-OLEUM RESTORE 4X Deck Coating. Paint is 4X thicken than normal paint. Repaint the inside of the sink every six months, so it looks new most of the time. After 5+ coats of the thick paint, a large graduated glass Cylinder can tip over and not break, wasn't so with my previous SS sink. Still have to install a small "computer" fan or two behind the print drying screens to circulate the air over and under the screens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroomsink.jpg