Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Epson V700 High Resolution lens

I have an opportunity to try an Epson V700 to see how it compares to my camera scanning workflow. The catch is the scanner does not have templates (either Epson or Better Scanning). Obviously I'd want to use the high resolution lens. Is this lens mechanically triggered by the templates, in other words, it only is used if a template is mounted triggering a sensor or switch? Or is it as simple as choosing the "film holder" rather than "film guide" setting in the software? I'll be using VueScan.

Re: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

It's been a while since I used the 750 with Vuescan (I upgraded to an IQsmart 2.) but as I recall the higher resolution lens focuses a bit higher than the glass bed so you need either the film holder itself or somerthing else like a piece of glass set the right height above the bed with washers or something. IIRC the scanner does not have any auto focus adapability so you have to use something to get the film into the plane of best focus.

Here’s how I understand it (V700/750 with Epson Scan), whose wording may slightly differ from Vuescan:

Selecting “Film (w/ Film Area Guide)” activates the lower resolution lens. The so-called “film area guide” is a cheap piece of plastic Epson wants you to lay on the glass, so you can position the negative on the glass in the right place. You must select this option for 8x10 film – well, unless you want to scan just a portion of it with the higher resolution lens (below).

Selecting “Film (w/ Film Holder)” activates the higher resolution (SHR) lens, which scans a smaller area than 8x10. BTW, I understand this lens scans at a wider aperture than the lower resolution lens.

As Jim notes, the two lenses will have two different optimal scanning heights. One should do some testing to determine the ideal scanning height for each lens!

-----
    Note: Epson 4990 users, like myself, must also choose the “film guide” vs. “film holder” option – but since the 4990 has only a single, fixed-focus lens, it doesn’t matter which option is chosen. The single lens will behave the same way for either option.

Lachlan 717

My understanding is that there are registration holes in the holders that “trigger” the device to allow the higher resolution settings, thus the higher rea lens.

This was passed on to me when I was trying to set up a film holder for 7x17” sheets to allow high res scanning of larger sheet stock.

When I checked my Betterscan holders and OEM holders, both had holes. They’re quite small.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    it only is used if a template is mounted triggering a sensor or switch?
    Yes... when the scanner detects a film holder then it uses the high resolution lens that covers "only" 5.9" wide and it is focused several mm over the bed glass.. I guess holder type is detected optically. If not, low res lens is used, covering the entire illuminated bed and focused on the glass surface.

The high resolution lens take 6400 real hardware samples per inch or dpi, while the low res one takes 4800. The HR lens delivers 2800 or 2300 optical dpi performance depending on the axis, while the low res one would deliver proportionally less (48 vs 64).

Scanning sheets on bed with the low res lens would give you a very acceptable image quality anyway. With 35mm roll film, even the HR lens comes a bit short in performance.

Also remember that the EPSON scans always require some sharpening in Photoshop, while Pro scanners usually have good smart image processing hidden inside that optimizes the image sharpness, this is explained in this review: https://petapixel.com/2017/05/01/160...s-500-scanner/

Only the V750 has the high resolution lens. The V700 does not.

That's why I bought the V750.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm now able to add a bit to this knowledge. I wrote the author of Vuescan to ask about this, and Ed indicated that there is only one lens in the V700 and V750, but that lens has two zoom positions. One of those zoom positions covers about 7" wide (that's "high resolution"), and the other 8" wide but without infrared (the "low resolution"). As is widely documented on the Internet, the only difference between the V700 and V750 is some anti-reflection coatings on the latter -- otherwise identical.

Ed confirmed that the high resolution feature can be activated from Vuescan without needing to have a template installed. Apparently I just need to make sure the calibration position does not have any film blocking it.

I look forward to trying this out. I used to own a V750 but was never happy with the results from dry scanning. Fluid mounting turned out to be extremely easy, so I'm now curious to see how much of my bad results from last time were operating error (probably mostly...)

Edit: The "calibration position" is the area shown here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epson V700 calibration position.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	188271
    Last edited by rdeloe; 2-Mar-2019 at 09:54. Reason: Explained what the "calibration position" is

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Only the V750 has the high resolution lens. The V700 does not.

That's why I bought the V750.

- Leigh
    Leigh, both have the two lenses, in the 750 lenses are coated.

It is the 4990 that has a single lens...

To sum up since there is conflicting information in some posts here, the fixed focus lenses are changed/selected via the software options Heroique described. The small dots are to alert the software to the format size and holder being used so it better knows where and how to crop. The lower resolution lens is supposed to be focused right at the bed level but is often focused closer to 1 mm. The high resolution lens that has the narrower field of view is supposed to be focused at 3 mm. Both lenses are often not focused at the exact plane of intended focus. The difference between the V700 and 750 optics as well as 800 and 850 optics is a coating although you will be hard-pressed to find examples where this coating has shown to produce an appreciable difference. As Pere said, the 4990 only has one fixed focus lens which means there is a focus compromise when it comes to scanning 8x10. The lens is supposed to be focused at 1 mm off the glass but often is in the 1.5-2.0 mm range based on what others have reported back to me.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    The lens is supposed to be focused at 1 mm off the glass but often is in the 1.5-2.0 mm range based on what others have reported back to me.
    Doug, here we have a test showing through focus performance for the V750 high res lens:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4989733373_1d5cc658b1_b.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	188276

The lower res lens would be less DOF critical, because of the shorter focal, and becasue of the lower peak resolving power. IMHO when scanning on bed 1mm (or 2mm) would not be noticed.