Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for good Ball head w/o quick release

Re: Looking for good Ball head w/o quick release

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Okay, where can I buy the part?
    Bob Watson at Precision. But you need to know how to disassemble the ball head to get it in. And he will also need to know which model head.
    Rim at Nippon in NYC May also have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    BH-1 is 0.8kg and BH-3 is 0.5kg, IMHO this is for ULF !!!

IMHO for 4x5 we can save weight and money.

I've been very concerned about vibrations for 8x10, so I got two cheap tools to learn exactly what happens, IMHO when one has to make decisions about tripod/head it can be recommended to get first those two cheap tools (total $10):

Attachment 194697

Attachment 194698

For 4x5 you may check how the thing goes with a light head for DSLRs, just attach the laser to the front standard, you'll see at what wind speed you have problems. You'll see how much it takes to stop vibration after inserting a holder, and (principal) see if the tripod returns to the same direction after inserting the hoder, this is critical when a tilt is there because a change in the direction changes completely the focus plane.

Even one may calculate/learn what optical performance can be lost from vibrations in different wind conditions, this is measuring the laser spot vibration a ta distance and applying magnification, so we would know the spot blur on film for a long exposure, (if shutter speed is high then the loss is lower).

What I learned from experimentation is that for 4x5 steadiness it's easier than it looks, it is for 8x10 that the thing is more challenging when wind blows.

IMHO checking steadiness with the laser is what allows an optimal weight-steadiness balance.
    Even easier, faster and cheaper is to fill a shot glass 1/3rd full of water, place it on the head that is on the tripod and lightly tap the leg of the tripod and see how long the ripples in the glass last, then tap the head lightly and check the ripples again.

RRS has a screw platform option for their ball heads. You can also buy the platform separately if you already have a head.

Acratec GP ball head. Not quick release but solid and sturdy. Unique Ball is another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    RRS has a screw platform option for their ball heads. You can also buy the platform separately if you already have a head.
    When backpacking I use the RRS BH25 for my 4x5. It’s very light at 183g. The only complaint I have is that the tightening lever can be blocked by the base of the 4x5 and you need to rotate the ball a bit. A little clunky but it works. As mentioned before it usually comes with a release.

If you want more weight and more load then the Arca Swiss ball head is magnificent. It comes with just a plain platform too. I’ve mounted the RRS quick release plate on one and it works very well that way.

The Novoflex Magic Ball looks like the perfect option in terms of the easy screw on platform since you don’t want to quick release. Never owned one but came close several times. The smallest one he doesn’t have friction (like the RRS BH25) which is a minus not absolutely necessary if you are careful.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, am looking into it. Via their website, Emailed Kirk Enterprises as to the availability of a screw head for their BH-1 ball head and am eagerly awaiting their response. The Kirk BH-1 ball head has a 3/8" male screw sticking up out of the top stem on the ball. Not sure if it's a screw that can be removed or it is machined from the stem and ball. The stem on top of the RSS ball head has a female threaded hole in it and 2 proprietary "protrusions" on each side of the female screw hole. From what I can tell the RSS platform will not fit atop the Kirk. But for thirty dollars and change, adapting it to the Kirk might be a way to proceed.

This is the ball head I have: Gitzo GH3750 Series 3 Magnesium Off Centre Ball head.

No QR plate, very stable and available used!

Mike