Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

I was going along just fine with an old speed graphic.

But I dreamed of some movements - like tilt.

So I bought a used ebony RW45.

Am I stupid? Isn't film dead?

(BTW: for those considering the move from an old graphic - yes, it is worth it, but I miss my rangefinder.)

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Cool Re: Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

I sure hope there are not too many peals of laughter in response - I'm awaiting my new Shen Hao HZX45IIA (damned French douane!)
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Claudio Santambrogio

Re: Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

Once film will be dead, you'll start coating your own plates or sheets. And I doubt it'll be dead all too soon.

Stock up on silver nitrate before the coming collapse! I heard about this on TV! When undead zombies shuffle through the streets with their undead digital cameras (the batteries ran out ages ago), you need to be prepared! Silver nitrate - and a baseball bat!!

The RW is a fine camera, you'll be using it until you've gotten old and senile and can't remember where the shutter button is any more! You know, you could have kept the Graphic. They make nice cameras for impromptu street and portrait photography and besides, you'll always miss your first love...

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

You might be stupid to buy a NEW Ebony but buying used makes a lot of sense. The nice thing about most view cameras is that their condition is readily apparent so your chances of getting screwed are a lot less than more complex motorized and electronic-based cameras. Now that digital is firmly established as the norm, quality large format film cameras will hold their value. Even with the recession not many people discounted a popular camera like yours.

Hmm. I'm still paying to have shutters scaled ...

We're all just damn fools, welcome to the club.

Octogenarian

The old speed graphic was not a view camera. It was designed to be a press camera.

The Ebony RW45 is an entry level to the wonderful (expensive) world of Ebony View Cameras.

In six months you will be trading up to a more deluxe (expensive) model Ebony.

Six months after that, you will be selling that deluxe Ebony and moving up to an 8x10, or larger format camera. More expense.

You're addicted now. You're one of us. We gotchya!

You'll run out of steam long before the disappearance of film. Besides, the more deluxe Ebony's are capable of handling a digital back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    In six months you will be trading up to a more deluxe (expensive) model Ebony.

Six months after that, you will be selling that deluxe Ebony and moving up to an 8x10, or larger format camera. More expense.

You're addicted now. You're one of us. We gotchya!

You'll run out of steam long before the disappearance of film. Besides, the more deluxe Ebony's are capable of handling a digital back.
    Could be a slippery slope, but I slide pretty slowly. It took me 28 years to upgrade from the speed graphic so I should be content for a while - or so I tell myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post

Am I stupid? Isn't film dead?
    you are not stupid... I made the same 'mistake' two years ago and I'm certainly not stupid, so how can you be? I re-entered photography by way of film and don't regret any of the money I've wasted these past two years. Making pictures sure beats making a living any day.

Money and time always slip away, just be certain that money gives you time doing what you wish.