Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using my big 90mm Fujinon on my Chamonix 4x5

Using my big 90mm Fujinon on my Chamonix 4x5

I've been making the plunge into 4x5 and purchased a Chamonix 45-H1, and I like wide angle lately so I purchased a 90mm Fujinon 5.6 that is designed for 5x7. I would eventually like to buy the 5x7 back for the Chamonix so I felt that would be a great lens.

It is a quite physically large lens and when I move front standard the back of it definitely hits the "universal" bellows. My theory is that it doesn't really matter as that part of the image circle isn't used anyway. Is this correct? Or do I really need a bag bellows.

Also, I would love a suggestion on a great 90mm lens or close that is smaller mainly to have a lighter weight set up.

Re: Is my lens too big?

IMO, 90mm is the limit on the Chamonix for a lot of shift. A bag bellows will help.

And a recessed lens board,

Quote Originally Posted by Mexipike View Post
    My theory is that it doesn't really matter as that part of the image circle isn't used anyway. Is this correct? Or do I really need a bag bellows.
    It's a common situation that a 4x5 lens just covers the upper format, in this way you have movements for 4x5 and it would be usable for the upper format.

So the excessive circle is good when you want shift-rise, but it can provocate some flare in some situations, because the light bouncing in the bellows, but you can always trim the excessive circle by using a compendium lens shade.

Also, I would love a suggestion on a great 90mm lens or close that is smaller mainly to have a lighter weight set up.
    Here you have some suggestions:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

The Fuji 90mm f/8 is 400grs instead 600grs.

You know, a lighter lens may have also some drawbacks, less speed or less circle or softer corners when wide open. The Fuji 90 5.6 is a really good lens, I've the f/8 but I'd prefer the f/5.6.

Re: Using my big 90mm Fujinon on my Chamonix 4x5

So it seems like I should just keep using it and I'll be fine. It is it a issue that the rear element will sometimes touch the bellows?

Have a Chamonix 4x5 and use it with a 90mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW. Initially had only the "universal" bellows. I got the WA bellows, and never looked back. Makes using the 90mm so much more of a pleasure to use. Look around for a used one which will save you some $$$.

Foamer

Also using a Nikon 90mm f4.5 on Chamonix 045n, standard bellows. I don't need a recessed board, and have experienced no issues. Don't use a lot of movements with this lens though.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

So it seems like I should just keep using it and I'll be fine. It is it a issue that the rear element will sometimes touch the bellows?
    It shouldn't be a problem. The rim on the outside of the lens protrudes a bit past the glass, and the bellows are pretty rigid, so bellows shouldn't come into contact with the glass. And the bellows material is soft enough that it shouldn't scratch the paint off the metal rim under normal use. However, I could see a possible issue of the lens knocking dust off the inside of the bellows and it falling on the glass. But if the camera is fairly clean the and bellows aren't degrading, I doubt this would be a real world issue.

The 90mm f8 SW lens has a 235mm image circle, compared to 236mm for the Fuji.

For years, I had the SA f5.6 90mm SW. I finally changed to the Nikon. The faster lens just wasn't worth the tradeoff in weight.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. So far I've just been plugging away and not worrying about the big lens. Has been working well and I'm sure here and there the rear element hits the bellows but it doesn't seem to effect image quality and that's all I was worrying about.