Page 15 of 655 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Well eddie I DO plan to present one of them, if for no other reason than to show the tones- maybe I'll print in the next day or so......
    As for 11x14, I don't have one- got any ideas ??
    Ed, build one! It is lots of fun!

Jim

Okay Jim
    I'm almost done with Model 1a Poco- had to build an 8x10 spring back and the springs are just about done.
    Boy have I learned a LOT about how things really go together- and how they don't.
    Still struggling with my 7x17 filmholder- I gotta wait for my son to get his work done so he can cut some parts- springs for the light valves and a revised filmplane shim
    If that works 11x14 should be easier cuz perhaps I'll have made most of the mistakes- and perhaps won't repeat some of them.
    Thanks for your encouragement!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Okay Jim
    I'm almost done with Model 1a Poco- had to build an 8x10 spring back and the springs are just about done.
    Boy have I learned a LOT about how things really go together- and how they don't.
    Still struggling with my 7x17 filmholder- I gotta wait for my son to get his work done so he can cut some parts- springs for the light valves and a revised filmplane shim
    If that works 11x14 should be easier cuz perhaps I'll have made most of the mistakes- and perhaps won't repeat some of them.
    Thanks for your encouragement!
    Ed, you can do it and with the valuable experience you have gained you know it is not as intimidating as the first one you build. I built the 8x20 first and that was fun but it took time. I purposely did not rush because I wanted to do it as good as I could. The camera works fine. The 11x14 was faster to build and I use it more than the 8x20 due to the fact that I have 300 sheets of green x-ray film that I virtually got for free. I am in Ventura and if you need some help just let me know.

Jim

I went to the mamography room at the hospital where I work after posting and the tech told me that she worked with a guy who used to run his B&W film through the x-ray processor she didn't know what results he got, but he did it enough times that she felt they must have been satisfactory at least. So like you said, it being free, it's at least worth experimenting with. I think I'll try the gammit: Run the x-ray film through x-ray developer run B&W film through it and even try developing paper with it -as I've read x-ray film acts much like paper and that 'positive paper' stuff. I will keep you all posted.

Also, for anyone interested I saw that the x-ray film makes for some really interesting positive prints when used in lew of paper and back lit.

I see those sheet X-Ray processors go used some places for only a few hundred (as opposed to a couple thousand. Does anyone know if the times are programmable, for putting our own dev, and fix in , or say for C-41 dev / blix processing?

I am paranoid I am slowly getting poisoned by my chems working in such tight spaces. Heh. I would love to be able to just walk away from the tray developing.

For those who haved used both blue and green which did you like better and was it half or full speed. I have only used the green and was wandering how much of a difference between the two as far as contrast control.

Nicholas O. Lindan

It seems LF photographers aren't the only ones using X-ray film for their own ends. See how this sounds to you: http://www.kk.org/streetuse/archives...nd_recor_1.php

Do 8x10" Kodak or Fuji X-ray films fit into normal holders without any adaptation?
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Yes Xray 8x10 fits standard holders

Thanks for the quick answer, Ed!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/