Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBay Sales Tax????

Re: EBay Sales Tax????

Go to eBay and follow support links. They explain what they call marketplace responsibility states which have various rules typically calling them marketplace facilitators

The biggest factor is how much you sell on EBAY. If you any sell a little -- that is not for much money -- it's no big deal. You won't owe anything to the "Government". If you have sales that amount to a lot of cash, then you will have taxes to pay. How much and to whom? That depends on where you live.

So if you are not a big time EBAY seller, take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    The biggest factor is how much you sell on EBAY. If you any sell a little -- that is not for much money -- it's no big deal. You won't owe anything to the "Government". If you have sales that amount to a lot of cash, then you will have taxes to pay. How much and to whom? That depends on where you live.

So if you are not a big time EBAY seller, take it easy.
    You're confusing sales taxes with income taxes.

EBAY collects sales tax. I don't have to do anything. In the last month, on my sales, they collected $54.06.

Income tax? That I still MIGHT have to deal with.

But you are correct -- the OP was about sales tax, not income tax.

I got behind remitting sales tax from my business long ago

They put a lien on my home which complicated divorce, the Tax guys had said no lien as I was paying it off fast

When I sold the house MY Lawyer walked me into State Tax offices and gave them the entire check

I now had no wife, no home, no business and no money

I was just about to sleep in the nice city park

and the beat goes on
    Tin Can

What about sales tax and Paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by drj52 View Post
    Unfortunate that your first post here dredged up a thread that’s been dormant for nearly four years, especially since what you posted is totally false. eBay has collected and remitted sales tax for several years, relieving sellers of that responsibility.
    Just to be clear. Sellers, if they're not in business and not making large shipments to the states in question over the year, are not required to collect sales tax. Companies must apply to each state to get a license to collect sales tax for each state. It is illegal to "charge" sales tax if you don't have authorization from the state the buyer lives in. There's no way to forward the money to that state since you're not licensed to collect the tax. The buyers are supposed to pay sales tax called a use tax in their states for purchases they make where sales taxes were not collected at the time of sales.

EBay because it's a huge intermediary doing "sales" in all states in the millions, has been required to collect sales tax in all these cases now. Same for companies like B&H Photo, Adorama, etc.. The sales tax money collected is forwarded to each of the states at the % rate required by the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Just to be clear. Sellers, if they're not in business and not making large shipments to the states in question over the year, are not required to collect sales tax. Companies must apply to each state to get a license to collect sales tax for each state. It is illegal to "charge" sales tax if you don't have authorization from the state the buyer lives in. There's no way to forward the money to that state since you're not licensed to collect the tax. The buyers are supposed to pay sales tax called a use tax in their states for purchases they make where sales taxes were not collected at the time of sales.

EBay because it's a huge intermediary doing "sales" in all states in the millions, has been required to collect sales tax in all these cases now. Same for companies like B&H Photo, Adorama, etc.. The sales tax money collected is forwarded to each of the states at the % rate required by the state.
    My reply was specifically about eBay sales. If a company or individual only sells on eBay, they are not required to apply for any licenses for sales tax collection.

Quote Originally Posted by drj52 View Post
    My reply was specifically about eBay sales. If a company or individual only sells on eBay, they are not required to apply for any licenses for sales tax collection.
    I assume that's because eBay collects the sales tax for them. Frankly, it;s easier for the states as well. They don't have to deal with thousands of extra entities. Plus it assures they get the sales tax. Individuals won't bother to collect or pay it. Also, how does let's say the state of New Jersey collects sales tax from a seller in California who sold a $100 item to a guy in NJ? This way they get the tax once a month or quarterly from eBay for all sellers around the world for sales to NJ buyers. It's a sweet deal for the states.

I have sold cars on eBay

My state collects tax from buyer when obtaining title and plates
    Tin Can