Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

I stopped buying LF cameras after I got the Canham 5x7 MQC. Then I added the Canham 617 rollfilm back and also the 4x5 back adapter. I've used lenses from a 75mm to 360mm with the same bellows. So yeah, it works for me...

The Canham Metal Cameras are great! How do you like the Motorized 6x17 back ?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I stopped buying LF cameras after I got the Canham 5x7 MQC. Then I added the Canham 617 rollfilm back and also the 4x5 back adapter. I've used lenses from a 75mm to 360mm with the same bellows. So yeah, it works for me...

Another reasonable 5x7 option would be the Wista Rittreck 5x7, made for a few decades. The latest that I saw Wista advertising new Rittrecks in View Camera magazine was the end of 1989. Rittrecks are an all metal folding field camera, well-protected, and relatively compact but at 9.4 pounds, they are a few pounds heavier than the very nice Canham MQC 5x7 or most 5x7 wood folders. Rittrecks are about 2.5 pounds lighter than the equivalent Linhof 5x7 Technika. The Technika does have the advantage of 23" triple-extension while the Rittrack is only double-extension with about 14"-15" bellows extension. The Rittreck rotating 4x5 reduction back is easy to find.

Rittrecks are readily available on EBay with good condition copies priced at or under $500, have complete movements. are very sturdy, and fold into a stout metal shell. In many ways, they're a good backpack 5x7 if you don't plan to walk too far. They're faster and easier to set up and use than my other 5x7 cameras, a Tachihara (or maybe it's a Tachi clone), a lovely wood Agfa Ansco tailboard in nice condition, not to mention a stout 5x7 monorail Toyo G. These are all nice 5x7 cameras in good condition and they all have their merits and uses, but I find that I usually take the Rittreck kit when heading out the door.
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 8-Apr-2021 at 00:06.

The 'best' camera is the one that's with you when taking photos. My first LF camera was a Linhof SuperTechnika 13x18 V, and I love it. You can put a 58 mm and a 450 mm and get focus on a lot of subjects, closed is a tank. If my first camera was a Canham, an Ebony, a Deardoff or a Lotus, I would be in love too, and no watching around. When I want to travel really light, I have a 4x5 camera.

A friend has a Rittreck and it's a lovely camera too. And the 5x7 monorails? Sinar, Linhof, Arca, Toyo, there is a lot of good cameras for 5x7 or 13x18 film.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    Another reasonable 5x7 option would be the Wista Rittreck 5x7, made for a few decades. The latest that I saw Wista advertising new Rittrecks in View Camera magazine was the end of 1989. Rittrecks are compact but at 9.4 pounds, they are a few pounds heavier than the very nice Canham MQC 5x7 or most wood folders.

On the other hand, they are readily available on EBay with good condition copies at or under $500, have complete movements. are very sturdy, and fold into a stout metal shell. In many ways, they're really a good backpack 5x7 if you don't plan to walk too far. They're faster and easier to set up and use than my other 5x7 cameras, a Tachihara (or maybe it's a Tachi clone), a lovely wood Agfa Ansco tailboard in nice condition, not to mention a stout 5x7 monorail Toyo G. These are all nice 5x7 cameras in good condition and they all have their merits and uses, but I find that I usually take the Rittreck kit when heading out the door.
    Also the original Toyo Field 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 with a 5x7 back. Mine weighs less than 6 lbs. Full movements in the front except for shift. For my use - almost perfect.

Love the one you're with

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi_r View Post
    The 'best' camera is the one that's with you when taking photos. My first LF camera was a Linhof SuperTechnika 13x18 V, and I love it. You can put a 58 mm and a 450 mm and get focus on a lot of subjects, closed is a tank. If my first camera was a Canham, an Ebony, a Deardoff or a Lotus, I would be in love too, and no watching around. When I want to travel really light, I have a 4x5 camera.

A friend has a Rittreck and it's a lovely camera too. And the 5x7 monorails? Sinar, Linhof, Arca, Toyo, there is a lot of good cameras for 5x7 or 13x18 film.
    Tin Can

Deardorff V5 23” bellows. Have 2 wouldn’t use anything else. One from 1951 and one from 1987!

My pre-1939 5x7 Deardorff is my go to camera regardless of film size. I have owned it since the 1950's and it still has original bellows. It came with a 4x5 back which I have used only 1 or 2 times. The 8x10 Wehman weighs a bit less and gets a lot of use, as does the 5x12 Korona. I have a 5x7 Seroco (Sears Roebuck Company) from 1902 which with its original lens and shutter weighs just under 2 lbs. I use it occasionally with dry plates.
    In the past I have had Calumet 8x10, 4x5 Sinar, 4x5 Graphic View and other rail cameras but at my age they are too heavy, bulky and finicky for me in studio or field. I won't get into lenses.
    The one camera I should never have sold was a Baby Deardorff, a true 4x5 not 5x7 with 4x5 back. It's only problem was its value to collectors. When one with more cents than sense offered me many times what I paid for it I sold it and moved on.

I had an Indian copy (exact) of a Deardorff Special. Bought new with a 4x5 back, I found a Deardorff 5x7 back that fit perfectly. It had front swing. It was a sweet 5x7 set-up until it got ripped off. Fine machines, even with the Rajah being a little rough around the edges.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The bigger the camera, the harder to steal
    Tin Can