Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

Hi all,

Looks like I've got a start in LF using a Cambo 45NX. One of our form members is going to help me get started with a camera he doesn't use much anymore. He's also going to set me up with all the other things needed to get shooting, except for one major items; the lens. How cool is that guys!!

Considering I am mostly interested in landscape (for now), I think a 150mm is a good all around starter. Happy to hear otherwise, but I'm looking for specific lens suggestions that will work well on this camera AND be usable on field cameras (future investment). Changing the lens board is not a problem of course.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a cheap-o lens, but something that will help provide a worthy image. Can you provide me with the specific model so I can search for exactly what you suggest. I get very confused when reading all these lens types and have little frame of reference with LF. I shoot Nikon DX, so that's all I know and about 1% of that seems transferable to LF

My budget for now is less than $200. It would need to be a screaming deal for me to go over that. I'm just too new and stupid about LF to justify spending a ton of money (yet).

Thanks all!!

Adam

Re: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

Any modern Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, or Fujinon lens in your budget will be fine. Just make sure the shutter is in good shape - so a black-rim Copal shutter preferred as it'll be the newest.

Schneider Symmar-S or APO Symmar, Rodenstock Sironar, Nikkor-W, etc.

And a 90mm would be a good alternative if you like to shoot wide. Personally I use 90mm way more, but you may be different (if you like shooting at 18mm on your DX camera, get a 90mm).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks.

I can say this. When looking at my favorite landscape images on my D7200, most of them fall into the 24mm-50mm range on the DX format.

Then focal lengths of 135mm to 270mm are perfect, for you.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Congratulations... that’s a camera that will do anything you need (except be lightweight for backpacking). I’ve had a Cambo like it since 1982 or so and still haven’t “outgrown” it.

150 will be a good all-round lens. But be forewarned... you’ll want a 210 and 300 soon. You have been warned.

Note: I’m the complete opposite of Bryan... I hate wide landscapes and love tight ones. It takes all kinds... the dumbest lens buy for me was a 90, and I only use it when using a roll film back.

Foamer

Scanning current offerings on ebay I see a Fujinon 150mm f5.6 $239 or best offer, Schneider 150mm f5.6 Xenar $233 or best offer (check to see if multicoated), Rodenstock Sironar N 150mm f5.6 (looks to be multicoated) for $250/best offer. If we include Japan sellers there is more. I've had nothing but good luck buying from Japanese sellers, it just takes a week or two for the item to come is all. Fujinon 150mm W f5.6 $239/best offer, Rodenstock Sironar N 150mm f5.6 $99, and what I see as the best deal of all of them is a Fujinon 150mm W f5.6 $180 + free shipping. These all appear to be Copal 0, for which you will have one board. Easy to mount the lens. Always ask seller if the retaining nut is included, otherwise it will be a hassle to replace. If you want to go cheaper there's also a deal on a Fujinon 135mm W f5.6 for less than $150. I have a Fujinon 180mm f5.6 and like it. Their lenses are every bit as good as Nikon's.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

2 major items!
    You will also need a lens board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    2 major items!
    You will also need a lens board.
    He's got me covered!! If I missed that detail, my bad. Three boards actually!!

I've looked at more landscape photos that I like and a bunch of them are on my 50mm f1.8 Nikor. Then, I have a bunch in the 18mm range. I believe the 50mm on DX should convert to about 33mm on 35mm format and that should correlate to about 120mm on LF??? So for now, I'll forget the 18mm conversion and focus on the 120mm-150mm in LF.

Based on that is there a lens that jumps out in that range? Or is it just a wash of greatness no matter where I go?

50mm on DX would be around 70-80mm on 24x36. So around 240mm in 4x5. The 18mm in DX would be around 90mm in 4x5.
    Expert in non-working solutions.