Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Interested in 4 x 5

Re: Interested in 4 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
    You know my wife pretty well. LOL. She hates it when I buy something that needs to be replaced a short time later. She must prefers spending once vs. spending twice. I see it happen all the time in fishing. New guys go with budget stuff and it breaks, so they buy new stuff they should have bought the first time.
    A lot of guys do that with tripods. I admit that I was one of them when I bought my first 35mm camera tripod many years ago. I ended up replacing it and then giving it away to a friend who didn't have one. He cussed it a lot but it was a little better than nothing.

When I mentioned John's turkey I meant it literally. He took a frozen turkey and tried to make a pin hole camera out of it but it started to thaw. It's kind of a running joke here on the forum. John is a really good sport and a fun guy.

Thanks to this thread I've learned a lot about large format considerations. You Tube has helped a lot too with understanding the various movements and why to use them.

I've definitely narrowed the cameras down to 3 brands, but I'm not sure it matters to me much at this point (Sinar, Toyo, Horseman).

Unfortunately with the things going on in the world I'm going to have to hold off on pulling the trigger a few weeks.

Thats not all bad, you can take the extra time to learn more. Welcome to the Darkslide!

Highly recommend selecting lenses to be used to make the images you've got in mind, then decided on camera-camera support and all related.

If you're going to be back-packing and such you're likely going to want compact-light weight lens set that is easy to travel with. For indoor-studio work stuff compact-lightweight becomes a much lesser issue.

Know long as the "camera" has a light tight bellows, precise-stable standards adjustments and stays put once set, offers enough add-ons to meet your image making needs.. it will work to make images on film.. Focus less on the camera, focus more on the print image goals.

~No single camera is ideal for all image making needs~ They are all a set of trade-offs driven by a long list of requirements and possible technical solutions to these requirements.

IMO, more important is the post camera process which is the means to image production.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
    I've definitely narrowed the cameras down to 3 brands, but I'm not sure it matters to me much at this point (Sinar, Toyo, Horseman).

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I would recommend a Calumet CC-400 monorail...maybe a 135 or 150mm lens. Basic and bulletproof camera, and they made a gazillion of them..very easy to find cheap. A Crown Graphic (press camera, not a lot of movements) would work, too...but it won't teach you as much.
    I was about to pull the trigger a Calumet CC-400 for $120 shipped on the 'bay until I saw on locally on Craigslist for $50. It was listed for a month and usually with things listed that long I try to bargain with the seller. In this case I just gave the guy the $50 (via PayPal in compliance with social distancing practices). There is much made about how a press camera is so much more portable. The Calumet weighs about as much as my Crown Graphic and both have handles. Camera in one hand, tripod in the other, backpack with your film holders, cable release, etc slung over your shoulder and you're good to go.

Great deal. I haven't found a deal like that yet.

Score!
    I used to use my CC-400 in the field. Carried it in an old Army surplus rucksack/backpack, tripod in one hand, bag of film holders, meter, loupe and darkcloth in the other.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Score!
    I used to use my CC-400 in the field. Carried it in an old Army surplus rucksack/backpack, tripod in one hand, bag of film holders, meter, loupe and darkcloth in the other.
    Enjoy!
    I don't know that my Calumet is any lighter than my Crown Graphic. Sure the Crown folds up but the Calumet has a handle. I am not the hiking type but if I were I would grab my Nikon EM before I took either 4x5 camera.