Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: de Vere 5108 enlarger 'control box' and neg holder

Re: de Vere 5108 enlarger 'control box' and neg holder

Yes, that's my thoughts too. I would like to print c-types at some point too, so ideally I'd get the colour module thing working as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I would try to get that machine back to original specs. Such a beautiful machine.

I have a 5108, similar to yours, even the color analyzer, which I have never used. Your machine looks like it will be great once cleaned up and you find a power supply. They are heavy but, not so heavy that it couldn't be shipped internationally. I would try to source one through the recommendations already made here. As for the 8x10 carrier, don't loose that, it looks like it is perfect, you should be able to lay an 8x10 negative there glassless. There are inserts for smaller formats that will fit there available for purchase. I have a few of these, one I cut a piece of True View Ultra View (poor mans museum glass) and laid it in the bottom to tape odd format negatives to.

I will get some photos and post them here for your reference.

Would this work? It's 115v rather than 240, but would it work if you used a 115v circuit and different bulbs? This is an extra one which came with my enlarger when I picked it up. This one has been modified to use some certain voltage stabilizer I don't have, so I've never used it, but if it could be useful to you, I'd be happy to see if I can return it to its original condition
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3676.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	228347

[edit, this is the back, maybe it works with the voltage stabilizer you have? I've not been able to get it to work on its own]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3677.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	228348

Thanks again all!

I *think* I have found plans to make my own control box, which an electrician friend can help me with. I'll report back when I've seen progress, or hit a wall – either way, regardless...

I heard back from Odyssey sales and they sell the control box for 350UKP. Not insane for something guaranteed to work and be supported, but the shipping to NZ is what would kill it.

Resurrecting this thread as I've now found the control box! It was lost in the back of storage and only just found, six months later. Awesome!

Only problem is it seems it was used with a non de Vere timer, or at least that's the timer it was supplied with.

The problem is, I can't see any way to actually connect the timer supplied. I'll attach some photographs with labels on the cables / connections pictured. Am I crazy, or does it look like it won't work being non-OEM?

If I follow the way the cables are actually labelled, I'm left with two unconnected plugs: 1: The voltage stabalizer to pug into mains PLUS, 2: an extra plug coming from the timer with nowhere to go? Surely they don't both need to be plugged into the mains? (Don't worry, not about to try that without first seeking professional advise!)

From a small amount of research it seems the OEM de Vere timer has the same plug as the colour analyser thing this 5108 comes with – which I don't care to use. I'm at a loss...

HELP A DESPERATE PRINTER OUT!!! :-)

TClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9873.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	231105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9876.jpg 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	231106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9877.jpg 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	231107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9872.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	231108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	231109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB3418FC-37EA-4FDF-B621-94E6B2222E85.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	231110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9864.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	231131
    Last edited by Tim V; 20-Sep-2022 at 14:27.

Hmmm, I have the same era enlarger, only the 504; the ancillary equipment appears to be the same.

I too had some issues, but I made it work by having the 240V controller in your last picture, with both focus and mains switched on.

Once I had the mains on and the focus permanently switched on, I could control the enlarger with my aftermarket timer.

If you need more help, I can delve into the rear of the boxes and what is where. Mine looks pretty much the same as yours as to where each cable and plug goes.

Mine also had the colour option rack out of the left side but unfortunately all of that was stripped off before I received the enlarger.

Thank you, Mick! Did you plug the timer into an outlet, as well as the voltage stabalizer?
    As you see in the pictures above, the stabalizer has a connection to go into the mains, as does the timer.
    Thanks for your help!

that big plug in the center is an 8 pin connection which both sends power to the timer and recieves. If you have an original DeVere timer it should plug right in, otherwise you'll need to make an adapter (like I did). I'm at college currently so can't send you an image of the adapter I made. I think the pinout was listed in the manual, which hopefully someone here can provide (maybe I have a copy I can post, I'll see)

I don’t have a de Vere timer unfortunately. Looking on KBH they’re really expensive! I see RH Designs options and others for cheaper, but still a lot of money in total.
    What a rigmarole!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I don’t have a de Vere timer unfortunately. Looking on KBH they’re really expensive! I see RH Designs options and others for cheaper, but still a lot of money in total.
    What a rigmarole!
    I would ask Kevin Brown at KHB for a bit of free advice. He's been helpful to me, generous in sharing his knowledge. I'm sure that a skilled electrician could figure it out. I'm jealous, that's an amazingly awesome machine. Someone on here has the answer. I really would recommend sending some of these descriptions and photos to Kevin Brown. Best Regards Mike