Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens for 8x10 Intrepid newbie

Re: Lens for 8x10 Intrepid newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    As I said earlier, if you have a Doctor 240 Germinar-W, then you also have a 450mm lens with the front cell is removed. I had SK Grimes makes an adapter to use 52mm filters on the front of the shutter.
    I did not know that it dually served as a 450mm lens. Thanks. Great little lens.

As I said earlier, if you have a Doctor 240 Germinar-W, then you also have a 450mm lens with the front cell is removed. I had SK Grimes makes an adapter to use 52mm filters on the front of the shutter.
    At lunchtime I set up the 8x10 and removed the front element of the Doctor 240 Germinar W and sure enough, what looks like a fine 450mm image showed up on the ground glass. Might you have some correlating ratio as to effective f stops for this optical configuration ie. did you get Grimes to add another f scale? Many Thanks

I shoot BW, and so I just add 2 stops to the lens markings.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I shoot BW, and so I just add 2 stops to the lens markings.
    I shoot B&W as well. Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, if your normal exposure would come in at f45 you would shoot the image at f22 (just using f stops) absent the front element.

Yep. Also, as I said earlier, I had SK Grimes make an adapter that goes from my shutter to 52mm. That way I can use 52mm filters on the lens. I use a clear one for some protection of the inner lens surface. If it's perfect weather and conditions, I don't, but if it's dusty, rainy....then I do. I've only used the camera this way a few times last fall, but I hope to do more of it when the weather here gets a bit warmer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yep. Also, as I said earlier, I had SK Grimes make an adapter that goes from my shutter to 52mm. That way I can use 52mm filters on the lens. I use a clear one for some protection of the inner lens surface. If it's perfect weather and conditions, I don't, but if it's dusty, rainy....then I do. I've only used the camera this way a few times last fall, but I hope to do more of it when the weather here gets a bit warmer.
    Good idea to protect the shutter and the lens and also get a filter in play. I was similarly impressed by the increased coverage of the single rear lens element. Going to make a negative with this configuration and see how it prints. Thanks again.