Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tilt/shift etc when doing wet plates

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Tilt/shift etc when doing wet plates

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I don’t understand the automatic assumption that wet plate is synonymous with petzval use.
    Not synonymous with, but certainly appropriate for.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I bet most LF users don't really use "a lot of movements"...
    Not as a rule, but I've had mine do yoga poses before...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Between here and there

Obviously, in this sort of game most anything is allowed in the way of lenses - we used an old, very battered Turner Reich 12" at the workshop and it all turned out fine. In my own specific case, I enjoy the look of Tessars but I would like to try a Petzval some time, just to see what it is like.

Thanks Paul for the explanation regarding field curvature - the only actual experience I have with that sort of thing is the not-very-LF Leica Summilux 35 - loved that lens. But as you have shown several times over - any old clunker lens can make magic in the right hands.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Obviously, in this sort of game most anything is allowed in the way of lenses - we used an old, very battered Turner Reich 12" at the workshop and it all turned out fine. In my own specific case, I enjoy the look of Tessars but I would like to try a Petzval some time, just to see what it is like.

Thanks Paul for the explanation regarding field curvature - the only actual experience I have with that sort of thing is the not-very-LF Leica Summilux 35 - loved that lens. But as you have shown several times over - any old clunker lens can make magic in the right hands.
    Jimi, i do believe your last sentence is the truth. I’ve seen people make brilliant photographs with a magnifying glass as a lens, so imagination and willpower are the only limitations, really (and thank you for your kind words).
    I also have a Turner-Reich 12” convertible in my kit, and it’s made some very nice wet plate images for me. In fact, I need to get it out again to make some collodion negatives. It has optical properties that look very good when shot wide open (or close to it)!

Good luck in your search for a lens that makes you happy. I think there are many options for you to choose from, and I hope we see the results of your efforts here some day soon!